Shireen's Reviews > The Lion

The Lion by Nelson DeMille

it was ok
bookshelves: 2013, mystery, fiction

Trying to rate these books sometimes requires too much mental work. I really liked the voice of the narrator, his humour, his personality, but I found the repetitive violence soooooo tedious. They say it's an action book, but I actually found the action flagged. The waiting parts made sense, but unfortunately the conversations and thought processes during the waiting parts kind of got rather predictable and so created no tension, which dialogue and inner thought can do when physical action is not appropriate to the story at that point in it.

And then there's the problem with violence: it's addictive like a drug, with all the downsides of building up a tolerance. You take a bit, you get a high, you feel good, you get low, you want more. But the bit is not enough and you don't get a high now. You want more. You get more, you get a high, you feel good, you get low. You want more and you want it even more violent. And so it goes. The same addiction cycle is the same for reader and author. Plus I find violence kind of simplistic. I mean, isn't there ANY OTHER WAY?!! Would it kill an author to surprise me one day? Apparently so.

So to sum up: great main character, wonderful humour, repetitive plot whose solution you see coming in chapter 1, and violence that gets boring. Sigh.

I won this book as one of ten in a Twitter contest The Crime Vault held early in 2013.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion.

August 14, 2013 – Started Reading
August 14, 2013 – Shelved
August 14, 2013 –
page 14
2.82% "Wow, there are a bazillion paperback editions of this book and was it ever confusing trying to decide which one I have. I chose same publisher name and cover, but mine is copyright 2010. I won it in a contest The Crime Vault held on Twitter. Looking good so far."
August 20, 2013 – Finished Reading