Lainy's Reviews > Jail Bird

Jail Bird by Jessie Keane

Time taken to read - 1 day

Publisher - Harper (Harper Collins Publishers)

Blurb from Goodreads

Murder, loyalty and vengeance collide in Jessie Keane’s gritty fourth novel.

Lily King has spent years behind bars

Convicted of murdering her husband, London villain Leo King, she hasn’t been missed. Everyone believes she got what she deserved, but Lily knows she was fitted up.

Now she’s out, and she doesn’t do forgiveness. In her absence, things have moved on and the old order has changed. But now she’s ready to reclaim her position as head of the King family.

Fuelled by vengeance, Lily King is back, and some people aren’t going to know what’s hit them.

My review

We start off in 1996, introduced to Leo King, a man whose reputation proceeds him both with the ladies and in the criminal world. We then jump to Lily, Leo's wife and the night her life was turned upside down, still in 1996. Chapter 3 takes us to 2009 and sees Lily released from prison, jailed for the murder of her husband. Lily is ready to do some digging and set the record set, not every one is happy to see her and less believe she is innocent. What follows will stir up a lot of emotions, secrets and violence.

This is a great story and you get pulled into the drama straight away, I was up to 4am as I wanted to find out what happened. There is a few red herrings along the way or maybe I just watched too much murder she wrote as a child as I thought I knew who the killer was a few time, I was wrong every time.

The characters are quite well done, I have to say though Lily really annoyed me quite a lot by her stupid rash actions as sometimes she seemed quite with it and level headed then she would do something idiotic. Some of her responses irked me too as you know reading it if someone challenged you in the way she was you would react very differently. The brothers Si and Freddy, well more Si actually as Freddy is a hot head grated me as you would imagine he would approach Lily when he knew she was digging around. Small things like that is why the book lost a star however overall it was really good and by the end you have an answer for all your questions. I have enjoyed this author so much I bought all the rest in the series, 4/5 for me this time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jail Bird.

August 13, 2013 – Shelved
August 13, 2013 –
page 106
August 14, 2013 – Started Reading
August 15, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Wow, That was quick! I have one of her books on my shelf, so look forward to your review of this one. :)

Lainy I have two reviews to catch up on and I am working tomorrow ahhh. Going to start a new one tonight too so best get a move on!