Jennifer Clausen-greene's Reviews > The Journal

The Journal by Beth Harlow

This book did a wonderful job of really capturing the souls of the writers and drawing out the ordeal of the war and the effect it had on each person’s mind, body and spirituality. I enjoyed getting to have snapshots into each of the new soldier’s lives. To read the two sides of the story and view points and watch the growth that occurred in some of the soldiers due to what they witnessed and lived through during the Civil War.

Since we had already studied the Civil War we decided to read this book together as a family. My kids really loved the way the different soldiers would comment on previous soldier’s entries and really got the feel of how each side felt about the war. The sacrifices they were making and the different relationships they had with God.

The only thing I really issue or dislike about the book was how unclear it was when the new person started writing in the journal. The author did always do a great job in differentiating between new journal writers in a clear and concise way, which kept me wondering who was writing.

I would recommend this book to those who are war enthusiast or to those who love to take glimpses into the lives of others. Wonderfully wrote and very engaging.

Disclaimer: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookCrash.com book review program, which requires an honest, though not necessarily positive, review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s CFR Title 16, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journal.

Started Reading