C.G. Drews's Reviews > Last Night I Sang to the Monster

Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

bookshelves: contemporary, mental-illness, read-2017, ya-male-narrators, ya-without-romance, young-adult

Omggg this was so dark and heartbreaking and BEAUTIFUL. I freaking adored it. It's so brutal though and about just how deep the trauma of mental illness, addiction, and pain of being unloved can run. Like excuse me while I turn into that puddle over there.

Obviously I don't want to spoil the ending, but IT IS THE BEST ENDING OF MY HEART. I fully nearly gave it 5-stars just for that last chapter alone. I'm c r y i n g. Bless this ending and its perfect measure of darkness and hope.

I really loved Zach and so so felt for him. So he's in like a rehab facility for alcohol addiction, but he doesn't remember why. I felt the blurb kind of was like "oH HE HAS AMNESIA" but it's more like suppressed memories. He's very vocal about the fact he doesn't want to remember. And like holy heck as he starts being forced to face his past, you know why this kid doesn't want to remember. Seriously this book is heartbreaking. My heart kind of broke several times for Zach...he is so lost and so confused and full of hate and loneliness gahhh.

It's also just so downright emotional. SO EMOTIONAL. Like we have a rehab centre where we get to meet a fair few people as well, and all their stories are going to break a rib or two over your heart. But like they cry. At one point, Rafael writes Zach a note and it says something about girls cry but then he crosses it out and says boys cry. BECAUSE IT'S OKAY FOR BOYS TO SHOW EMOTION, AND TEARS, AND HEARTBREAK. I love love love that this was in there.

Also Adam, the therapist, was SO FREAKING AMAZING. I love him.

(And like, this isn't a critique or anything, but I'm not sure if Zach was closeted [to himself] gay or not? I was unclear about that.)

Smol List Of Dislikes:
• it was a lot of tell tell tell...instead of showing
• i think Zach's backstory reveal could've been revealed a little more punchingly?
• Zach's thoughts are very repetitious and if I had a dollar for every time he said "that really wigged me out" i would've been freaking rich. grr

ALL IN ALL? Seriously one of the most heart-hitting books I've read in a long time. It was beautiful and dealt with mental illness straight and head on. It's not a "nice" book and it's going to lay out the darkness of abuse, addiction, and depression...like really really deep depression. It's messy and the characters make bad decisions. But tHAT ENDING. My heart is so full after that ending!!! I love it!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night I Sang to the Monster.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Benjamin Alire Sáenz
“What is it with you and that book?"
Rafael laughed. "We have a personal relationship.”
Benjamin Alire Sáenz, Last Night I Sang to the Monster

August 13, 2013 – Shelved
August 13, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 6, 2017 – Started Reading
December 7, 2017 –
page 70
29.29% "Wow this book takes messed up to a whole new level."
December 8, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary