Fenia's Reviews > The Girl You Left Behind

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes

bookshelves: books-like-drugs, forever-re-reading, my-current-book-obsessions, fluffiness

OMG. I have no words. perfection. Okay so i'm still crying and this review might suck but here we go.. I loved loved loved this book!!! I love all things old and historic,so reading about World War I,and France, was really such a blissful thing to do. The first war hasn't got that much publicity as much as the second world war,so it was interesting reading about it (i kept thinking of Downton Abbey xD ). The scenery,circumstances and characters were built so carefully. Sophie and Liv both were not perfect people,they had their flaws and that made them real, but they were both worthy of being called heroines. I loved the way Jojo connected the two stories and then the whole painting thing was so magnificent!! I also appreciated the fact that Sophie wasn't able to move past her husband,whereas Liv could eventually, it shows us that even in similar circumstances people might chose differently,that of course doesn't mean that LIv loved David any less.

OH OH one other big thing for me in this book was that Moyes proves that humanity is a complex species and sometimes its easier for the majority to choose to black or white,rather than choosing that things could be grey. the villagers were so keen on being mean and heartless to 'traitors',and then people were keen on abusing and cursing on Liv because they thought she've done wrong. Its obvious that our society sternly believes that someone is 'guilty until proven innocent' and not the other way around. Easy to judge, people made the lives of Sophie and Liv unbearable.

I'm also so so happy that Jojo decided to end it so beautifully. I expected something horrible but instead i got a perfect ending. This book deserves more credit and i'm so glad i chose to read it. Mind-blowing. Romantic. Historic. Thought Provoking. Thrilling. Lots of suspense. Brilliant book ♥

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl You Left Behind.

Quotes Fenia Liked

Jojo Moyes
“All that counts is the truth. Without it you're basically just juggling people's daft ideas.”
tags: truth

Jojo Moyes
“There is a whole lot more to life than winning.”

Jojo Moyes
“Sometimes life is a series of obstacles, a matter of putting one foot in front of the other. Sometimes, she realizes suddenly, it is simply a matter of blind faith.”

Jojo Moyes
“Paul. Look at me. You need to understand this. The worst thing that could have happened to me already happened."
He looks up.
She swallows, knowing that these are the words that stall; that may simply refuse to emerge.
"Four years ago David and I went to bed like it was any other night, brushing our teeth reading our books, chatting about a restaurant we were going to the next day...and when I woke up the next morning he was there beside me, cold. Blue. I didn't...I didn't feel him go. I didn't even get to say..."
There is a short silence.
"Can you imagine knowing you slept through the person you love most dying next to you ? Knowing that there might have been something you could have done to help him ? To save him ? Not knowing if he was looking at you, silently begging you to..."
The words fail, her breath catches, a familiar tide threatens to wash over her He reaches out his hands slowly, enfolds hers within them until she can speak again.
"I thought the world had actually ended. I thought nothing good could ever happen again. I thought any thing might happen if I wasn't vigilant. I didn't eat. I didn't go out. I didn't want to see anyone. But I survived, Paul. Much to my own surprise, I got through it. And life...well, life gradually became liveable again."
She leans closer to him.
"So this...the painting, the house...It hit me when I heard what happened to Sophie. It's just stuff. They could take all of it, frankly. the only thing that matters is people."
She looks down at his hands, and her voice cracks.
"All that really matters is who you love.”

Jojo Moyes
“Sit here long enough you get to know everything. You listen, see ?"
She taps the side of her head.
"Nobody listens any more. Everyone knows what they want to hear, but nobody actually listens.”

Jojo Moyes
“I wanted to live as Edouard did, joyfully, sucking the marrow out of every moment and singing because it tasted so good.”

Jojo Moyes
“It was only when I got home that I reached into my pocket. I found a piece of paper he must have slipped in there while he held me: a little caricature of the two of us, him a huge bear in his uniform, grinning, his arm around me, petite and narrow-waisted, my face straight and solemn, my hair pulled neatly behind my head. Underneath it he had written, in his looping,‘I never knew real happiness until you.”

Jojo Moyes
“the ability to earn a living by doing the thing one loves must be one of life’s greatest gifts.”

Jojo Moyes
“Nobody fights you like your own sister; nobody else knows the most vulnerable parts of you and will aim for them without mercy.”

August 12, 2013 – Shelved
August 12, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 28, 2014 – Started Reading
June 29, 2014 –
page 50
9.19% "Well this seems interesting :D"
July 1, 2014 –
page 75
13.79% "Exams got in the way that's why i've been going so slow. BUT i love it!! ♥ :D"
page 170
31.25% "Part 2 here i come!!"
page 280
page 357
65.63% "WHY WAS I GIVEN FEELS???"
July 4, 2014 – Shelved as: books-like-drugs
July 4, 2014 – Shelved as: my-current-book-obsessions
July 4, 2014 – Shelved as: forever-re-reading
July 4, 2014 – Finished Reading
October 19, 2014 – Shelved as: fluffiness

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Dolors (new)

Dolors Heart-melting review Fenia! I bought this one after I finished Me Before You and your review just managed to push it higher in my pile of pending readings!

Fenia Dolors wrote: "Heart-melting review Fenia! I bought this one after I finished Me Before You and your review just managed to push it higher in my pile of pending readings!"

Aww thank you SO much!! :''D And hahah that's exactly what i did!! After i read Me Before You, i just HAD to read more of Jojo's books ♥

message 3: by Mei (new) - added it

Mei This looks really interesting and gooood! Might add it on my shelf.

Fenia Mei wrote: "This looks really interesting and gooood! Might add it on my shelf."

It is!! Its so amazing and special!! <33

message 5: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Love your review !!

Fenia Margitte wrote: "Love your review !!"

Thank you so much!! :)

P-the book nerd Oh I just finished it, and I completely, 100% agree with everything you have said! I can't wait to read more JoJo Moyes, even though she makes me cry and sob, she keeps the small trace of Hope through out her books!

Fenia Pirzha-Loves-Reading wrote: "Oh I just finished it, and I completely, 100% agree with everything you have said! I can't wait to read more JoJo Moyes, even though she makes me cry and sob, she keeps the small trace of Hope thro..."

IKR!! Her books are fantastic!! :D

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party "Books-like-drugs" - HA HA. one of the greatest bookshelf names ever!

Lovely review, Fenia! :)

Fenia David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party" wrote: ""Books-like-drugs" - HA HA. one of the greatest bookshelf names ever!

Lovely review, Fenia! :)"

Hahaha but its true xD My books are my drugs and some more than others :) Thank you David!!! :D