Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Caspian Rain

Caspian Rain by Gina B. Nahai

Aug 28, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: deaf-heroine, iran

I am definetly the minority here, but I did not enjoy this book much at all. I was expecting a novel about a deaf girl growing up in revolitionary Iran and knowing first hand what it is like being deaf in America, of course I jumped for excitement upon finding this book. Readers looking for a "deaf culture" type story, do not be mislead. Only the very last quarter of the book addresses Yaas's hearing impairment. The entire first half is about her parents and their marital discord. She is not even born till halfway thru. In between a bunch of mumbo jumbo about a tango dancing neighbor and a boy ghost riding around on a bike, the book goes on and on about Yaas's parents. Her dad is having a very public affair and when he does show up at home, her mother screams at him and so on. This is such a common problem (affairs and marital discord and screaming parents) that I fail to see why we need another novel about it.

In the very last quarter, Yaas discovers that she has hearing loss. Here it finally gets interesting if you can ignore the constant arguing between the parents and the tango dancer and boy on the bike. Here readers are introduced to the world of hearing aides and the fear and insecurities parents of hearing impaired children face.

If the entire book had been about Yaas and her struggles I would have enjoyed it a lot more. I couldn't care less about reading another book about a man having an affair.

For fans of the historical fiction genre who want a taste of deaf culture while at it, do try The Tailor's Daughter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caspian Rain.

Started Reading