Suzanne's Reviews > Year of the Songbird

Year of the Songbird by Bryan Caron

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads

I received this book, with thanks, through Goodreads First Reads.

Bear with this book. It has a slow start and never really picks up pace but there is a nice story embedded in it, and it's worth the read.

Year of the Songbird has remnants of Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road'. Not in terms of character, but in terms of the layout of the world in this post-apocolytic America, the pace of the story, and the times of hunger. Both books involve a world covered in ash after a nuclear attack, although the reason for the attack stems from different backgrounds.

We get to see this post-apocolyptic world through the eyss of a blind narrator, which makes for interesting reading as you come to understand how she is 'seeing' things around her. We learn of her blindness from the synposis on the back of the book, but it's not unti several pages in that we are told from the story. Until then, the story is a little confusing as you're both aware of her blindness, but waiting for this information to come from the narration. There are some decriptive points in the first few pages which would serve better in a third person narrative because of this.

Throughout her journey, Madeline (our narrator) changes and grows as a person, and I could see the changes not only from her own descriptions of herself, but from the way she acted and spoke. Once I realised the changes weere being intergrated into her more subtley than I original thought, there was an appreciation for the writer. I found myself sympathising with the narrator for her upbringing, which had shielded her from the world, and therefore from the life lessons she is now learning the hard way. It was an interesting learning curve to witness. And the author managed to through in a few random observations which stem from her blindness which grounded the character.

Without giving away the plot - it's a nicely written book, although I feel some deeply emotive parts could have been dwelt on further. Saying that, if you're after something easy to read on a wet afternoon with a cup of tea which is a different take on the usual post-apocolyptic novel - this could be exactly what you're looking for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year of the Songbird.

August 12, 2013 – Shelved
August 12, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 14, 2013 – Shelved as: first-reads
August 23, 2013 – Started Reading
August 24, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Suzanne,
I would like to thank you very much for your prompt reading and review of my book. I very much like what you had to say. It was observant and extremely honest. I very much appreciate it.