James Williams's Reviews > The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Aug 28, 2009

Recommended for: everyone

I found many things in this book that I had little use for, speaking from the standpoint of my religious beliefs and my world-view, however, there was a powerful transformation that began in me when I started pondering the power of the present moment and how we waste so much of our power to act now, by thinking of the future or the past in ways that cannot change a thing.

Some have misinterpreted his emphasis on the NOW, by saying that he is encouraging us to live for the moment. This is philosophically quite different than his statement that it is important to live, IN the present moment, not for it.

By accepting the present moment, we are not relinquishing our power to act as we believe, only we are not wasting time pontificating about why the moment is good or bad, but simply we are assessing what it is, and taking whatever appropriate action NOW that is called for. This does not encourage one to become weak or passive, so much as more aware of our core beliefs and less worried about what others think, or how my past faults or future worries might prevent me from accomplishing what I wish to accomplish. Even if this is not so much exactly as he put it, the power of Now for me has taught me to cherish each moment, and to see the grandeur of all life before me each and every minute. For me, this is enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Now.

August 28, 2009 – Shelved
August 28, 2009 –
page 44
September 29, 2009 –
page 118
March 2, 2010 –
page 129
56.33% "This has been for me a groundbreaking book that is teaching me how to recognize the power I have over my own life and choices."
March 3, 2010 –
page 145
63.32% "I have been reading more lately and am very absorbed with the mind opening concepts that ETolle brings out in this section, on male/female"
Started Reading