Giovanni's Reviews > Children of the Knight

Children of the Knight by Michael J.  Bowler

“Children of the Knight” is an amazing book. Both during and after reading this great book you will be filled with mixed emotions. There were times where I felt anger, happiness, excitement, and sadness because I remembered things that happened to me as a child and I even felt like crying.
Once you get started in the book it will be hard to put it down. You will always crave more. I got in trouble at work because I went overtime on my break or lunch because I would say to my self “just one more page” (after 4 to 5 pages). LOL. By the way, did I mention that I got lost on the bus on several occasions while reading this book?
The life style of a gang member as well as that of a homeless child is nailed right on the dot. This book couldn’t say it any better about how our “justice” system works and how the Department of Children and Family Services operates. The stories of some characters even triggered flashbacks to my own horrible childhood in both of those abusive systems.
As a former gang member and D.C.F.S. “owned” child, this book made me feel less alone to know that I was not and am not the only one who suffered such abuse physically, mentally, and sexually within that system. There are also some characters that explain why kids join gangs in the first place, and I could very much relate to that part, too. Growing up, I knew far too many kids just like the ones in this book. I was one of them. These characters are real and heart-rending.
If you would like to see, feel, and live the life of abandoned, neglected, and rejected kids/teenagers this is the book for you. It will leave you with tears down your face just as it did me. It will inspire you to take action against the way this country fails to protect our future – the children. Take the time to read this book, meditate on its message, and look around and you'll see that there are far too many lost children in need of rescue from this corrupted and hypocritical society. Adults talk the talk about protecting and nurturing kids and then throw them away like yesterday's trash. Shameful!
This is a must read for everyone who cares about kids and wants to get to know some amazing characters. Check out this book – you won’t be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Knight.

Started Reading
July 10, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 11, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Blaze Wow that is some great review. Good you are doing well now.