Donna's Reviews > Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson: Homecoming

Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs

Aug 28, 2009

bookshelves: graphic-novel, urban-fantasy, 2009-read
Read in August, 2009

I need to say upfront that I'm not a comic book connoisseur, so this review is strictly based on my thoughts as a Mercy Thompson fan.

Mercy Thompson: Homecoming is a compilation of the four comic book issues that give you four short stories on the beginnings of Mercy Thompson's life in Tri-Cities, a prequel to the Mercy Thompson series in comic book form. If you have already read the Mercy Thompson series, than you're in for a treat because throughout the graphic novel you get to see how Mercy met many of main characters. I enjoyed these first meetings between the characters.

I really liked the artwork. I loved getting a visual to a lot of the characters in the Mercy Thompson series, and comparing them to what I thought they looked liked in my imagination. You'll get to see Mercy (of course!), Zee, Tad as a boy, Stephan, Adam and several other characters. For the most part, I feel the artists were able to capture the characters as I pictured them, and even added a little to the visuals I already had.

I think Francis Tsai made Mercy look a lot sexier in the comics than what I was picturing, he was the illustrator for the first two comic books and all of the comic book covers. Amelia Woo illustrated the last two comic books, I prefer her rendition of Mercy much better. But I liked Tsai's portrayal of Adam better than Amelia's.

There is a bit a nudity in this, that I thought was done tastefully. It's in the scenes where the Mercy and the werewolves are shifting their forms. Since shapeshifting is a big part of who the characters are, the comics would've been remiss without them.

The dialogue is snappy and witty. I think it fell in line with characters as they are portrayed in the books in concise form, and had held the spirit of the books.

At the end of the graphic novel there is a short interview with Patricia Briggs by David Lawrence, that is very insightful on how they collaborated together and with other team members to pull together the comics for Homecoming. Patricia Briggs also plans on adapting the other books in the Mercy Thompson series to comics in the future.

I think this graphic novel is added plus to any Mercy Thompson collection and fans of Mercy Thompson will get a lot of enjoyment out of this graphic novel, especially those who are a fan of the graphic arts. It's money well spent!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson.

message 1: by new_user (last edited Sep 07, 2009 11:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

new_user Oh, thanks for the heads-up, I didn't realize that there were two artists for these stories. I love seeing a story or characters from different styles/perspectives. :D

Donna I really did enjoy looking at the Mercy Thompson characters from others' POV graphically. The dialogue is very concise, but most comics are. :D

new_user I just finished this one last night. It wasn't bad. Kind of bite-size. It was almost as satisfying as a short story, LOL. ^^; I thought it could have been higher quality for the brevity of the book-- as short as it was, they should have been able to lavish as much time as they wanted on it.

Donna I wonder how their going to handle converting the novels to comics? They can't be as concise with the verbiage in those as they were with these comics - since we have the novels to compare them to.