Kathy 's Reviews > Murder In Thrall

Murder In Thrall by Anne Cleeland

971945
Delighted is what I am with this new mystery from Anne Cleeland. It has me speaking like the fair lass, DC Kathleen Doyle, that is half of the Scotland Yard team in this first in the series of Acton and Doyle Scotland Yard Mysteries. Cleeland presents this story in a fresh, original style that opens each chapter with the very private thoughts of Chief Inspector Michael Sinclair, who also happens to be Lord Acton and the other half of the Scotland Yard team and brilliant, revered detective. Acton has tapped Doyle to work with him, finding most useful her intuitive skills discerning a witness's veracity.

The murder that begins the complex sequence of events in this mystery is that of a horse trainer at a London racetrack. Acton and Doyle begin interviewing witnesses with a prearranged signal from Doyle if interviewee is lying. Before 24 hours has passed, another murder has occurred, and thus begins a trail of bodies and mixed clues that make solving this case particularly difficult. Doyle's fellow DCs are disgruntled that she has been handpicked to assist Acton, and some wonder if it's more than just Doyle's detective skills that are admired. The partners play their personal lives close to the vest, so no one has any real ammunition to support any rumors. As Acton and Doyle find themselves involved in a quagmire of leads and false leads, they get to know each other on a personal level, too. It's a mystery that will keep you guessing until the end, trying to finger the rotten apple in the barrel.

I enjoyed the dialogue between Kathleen Doyle and Michael Acton as much as I've ever enjoyed a dialogue. Kathleen's Irishness is full of good humor and cheer, and Acton's often dry humored responses are a perfect match. I found myself laughing aloud at some points, and at all times, I was just mesmerized at how seamlessly the dialogue flowed. If ever there were a book to use as an example of great dialogue, this one is it. I am truly smitten with this two new characters, and I can hardly wait to hear them talk again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder In Thrall.

August 11, 2013 – Shelved
August 25, 2013 – Shelved as: scotland-yard
August 26, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
August 26, 2013 – Shelved as: highly-recommend
August 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Dorie Thanks for the recommendation, Kathy. This sounds right up my alley. I'm putting it on my 'to find' list.

Kathy Dorie wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation, Kathy. This sounds right up my alley. I'm putting it on my 'to find' list."

I was pleasantly surprised. This author is a new one for me.