Leigh Collazo's Reviews > The Wolf Princess

The Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable

4141951

liked it

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

WHAT I LIKED: When I think back to this book months or even years from now, I probably will not remember much about the characters or the plot. For me, the crisp, wintry setting ruled this book. The once-beautiful ice palace that has fallen into disrepair, the lonely white wolves howling in the dark, the gorgeous images of fresh, untrod snow sparkling under a cold winter moon. These are the things I will remember most. Beautiful, haunting, desolate, cold, white, crisp. That setting is just...breathtaking.

Constable's writing style has an old-fashioned feel to it that many readers will love. The writing has a new-classic feel that reminds me of Birdsall's The Penderwicks and Kelly's The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate. With a nearly all-female cast, The Wolf Princess will appeal more to girls than it will to boys.

The Russian history and use of Russian language are a nice touch. The fairytale feel and haunting wintry setting reminds me of Disney's Anastasia.

I love saying "Volkonskaya." Can I please change my last name to that?

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: So sloooowwww. This book took me about two weeks to finish, and that was only by skimming a lot of the last half. Before that two-week reading period, I had started reading it once before and put it down to read something else. Stuff happens in the story, but the action shots are slim-pickins until nearly the end. Even then, the final confrontation with the antagonist felt a bit anticlimactic.

I fell asleep reading this one pretty much every time I sat down to read it (hence, the two-week finish time). For what it's worth, I fell asleep with Calpurnia Tate and The Penderwicks as well. The old-fashioned feel to these books just isn't my thing, I guess.

THE BOTTOM LINE: Read it for the gorgeous Russian setting and old-fashioned fairytale feel if you are into that. Despite my boredom, I think I would have loved this book when I was in fifth or sixth grade. I'm too impatient now!

STATUS IN MY LIBRARY: On order. It may not be my favorite book, but there are plenty of girls in my library who will love it.

READALIKES: Rump (Shurtliff); Fairest Beauty (Dickerson), Towering (Flinn)

RATING BREAKDOWN:

Overall: 3/5
Creativity: 4/5
Appropriate length to tell the story: 3/5

CONTENT:

Language: none
Sexuality: none
Violence: mild; some fairytale violence, story of young prince murdered while trying to protect his family, person falls through ice and dies
Drugs/Alcohol: none

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf Princess.

August 11, 2013 – Started Reading