Cleopatra Pullen's Reviews > Every Vow You Break

Every Vow You Break by Julia Crouch

liked it

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy this story as much as Julia Crouch's debut [[ASIN:B004P8ITIS Cuckoo] which I thought was a great read.

The first half of this book seemed to meander introducing us to Lara, her actor husband Marcus and their 3 children, teenage twins Olly and Bella plus 4 year old Jack. They are moving to Trout Island in New York as Marcus has been asked to play the lead part in MacBeth at the local theatre. There are lots of bemusing happenings in the creepy house, Olly finds some local layabouts and Bella falls in love. Meanwhile Lara decides that she is no longer in love with her husband partly due to her recent abortion which she felt he'd forced her into. It's fair to say the break isn't going to plan.

After the very long build up, during which I didn't warm to any of the characters, an awful lot happens in the last few chapters. As the main revelation had been fairly heavily signposted earlier, it wasn't as exciting as it could have been. There are still a fair number of loose ends by the end of the book which added to my disappointment.

Hopefully Julia Crouch's next offering will be more to my taste.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Vow You Break.

Started Reading