LenaRibka's Reviews > Scorpion

Scorpion by Aleksandr Voinov

bookshelves: aleksandr-voinov

4,5 fascinating stars!

There are two reasons why I was waiting with the reading of this book:

♥ I am not a big fantasy fan. I read it from time to time, and there were even really great books among them, but it is not my usual genre.

♥ The second book is supposed to be released around October. The later I read it, the less time I have to wait for the next book- I hate to wait too long.

There is one reason why I even though have read it before the second book is available:

♥I found out that it was alone the work of Aleksandr Voinov without any of his usual co-writers.
It is Voinov pure!!! Hard to resist for me.

***As always I am not going to tell you the plot, all that you need for the beginning you'll find in the blurb, and to know more you have to read it yourself.

Scorpion is not a typical fantasy, it is a wonderful mixture out of fantasy and historical. I think it can be read as a historical novel in spite of the fact that all the places and the figures in the book have never existed in reality. For me it is just another proof for the writing skills of Aleskandr Voinov as a highly talented author in the genre of historical fiction.

The author created in a very realistic manner a world full of intrigues, corrupt priesthoods, battles and assassinations, dark violence and slavery,betrayal and loyalty, brotherhood and passion. The story line is very complex and multilayered with a lot of unexpected twists and turns that are absolutely unpredictable. The author leads you right into his world without much explanation, you are thrown right into it, from the very first page and you won't be able to leave it until you turn the last page.
But still the most remarkable thing that makes this story stand out from the crowd is its characters and the great chemistry between them: Kendras, Widow, Adrastes, Steel, Vistar An Grekaran, Lady Protector, Selvan and other survival Scorpions...
(view spoiler)

Writing:
I have to say this again and again...Aleks,

A great written, intriguing, addicting and captivating read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorpion.

Quotes LenaRibka Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“If you'd lie with scorpions, you need a taste for poison.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“All men die, Kendras. Better get used to it. And then fight until the end, with every breath, every heartbeat, every single, last thought.”

Aleksandr Voinov
It was easier being strong when another man was strong enough to be weak.

Aleksandr Voinov
“I'd meant to seduce him into my bed but he seduced me into his life.”

Aleksandr Voinov
“Kendras licked his lips. "Your Highness."
The officer laughed."You make that sound dirty.”

August 11, 2013 – Shelved
August 11, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 11, 2013 – Shelved as: aleksandr-voinov
September 23, 2013 – Started Reading
September 23, 2013 –
0.0% " HOW COULD I OVERLOOK IT?!\n \n Scorpion is Voinov pure!! \n \n Without his harem!!YES!YES!YES! \n \n \n \n I have to start it, I can't wait!!!!"
September 23, 2013 –
25.0% ""
September 24, 2013 –
September 24, 2013 –
65.0% "It was easier being strong when another man was strong enough to be weak."
September 25, 2013 –
80.0% ""
September 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Enjoy, will stalk your reviews ... As usual ;-)

´*•.¸(*•.¸♥Laura♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´ Sigh...allow me to repeat my last 30 statements:

LenaRibka Laura wrote: "Sigh...allow me to repeat my last 30 statements:
"

Hahahaha! Unfortunately it will happen soon!!!
I have read already almost everything he has already wrote!!
And he'll get free from me! For a while!

LenaRibka ßk70lvr wrote: "Fab story!!!!! :0)"

Yeah, I enjoy it a lot! Hope that the next sequel will be released soon! (He promised it!!!)

LenaRibka ßk70lvr wrote: "Every time he posts something about book 2 & 3 I jump excitedly in my seat and smile wide! I'm beyond ready!!!"

Don't talk about ready, me and Voinov!!

message 6: by Baba (new)

Baba  Don't drink too much! :)

LenaRibka Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Don't drink too much! :)"

Hahaha! I have a company here! Juci for example!

message 8: by Baba (new)

Baba  Good. :)

message 9: by Jucilene (new)

Jucilene Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Don't drink too much! :)"

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!
But I'm the worst companion for shots. You always have to carry me, Lena! Because I got hungover and fall apart in my updates. lol
Give us a shiny review as always Lena!
xxoo

LenaRibka Jucilene wrote: "Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Don't drink too much! :)"

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!
But I'm the worst companion ..."

OK, not shots for you, you'll get cola!

message 11: by Jucilene (new)

Jucilene Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Jucilene wrote: "Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Don't drink too much! :)"

But I'm the..."

Of course!
Can I have vanilla coke with a flavored vodka?(you and your infamous gifs! lol)

LenaRibka Jucilene wrote: "Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Jucilene wrote: "Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Don't drink too much! :)"

BWHAHAH..."

Are you sure that not vodka with vanilla taste?

message 13: by Jucilene (new)

Jucilene Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Jucilene wrote: "Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Jucilene wrote: "Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Don't drink too much! :)"

Hahaha! I have a company here! Juci for e..."

Hmmm, you're right! Vodka is everything! \o/\o/\o/ *hugging the booze* Put here for me, pls! ù_ú

message 14: by Smith (new)

Smith Barney ๏̯͡๏) But Lena is this Ken-dude better looking in words versus the fugly cover? I'm impossible..I know.

LenaRibka Smith wrote: "๏̯͡๏) But Lena is this Ken-dude better looking in words versus the fugly cover? I'm impossible..I know."

I have my image of him in my head! ;) And it is not 1:1 to cover. Not at all! ;))) But the cover of the next sequel looks better. I know now for sure(after some bad experiences- don't judge the book on it's cover!!!)

message 16: by Smith (new)

Smith Barney Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Smith wrote: "๏̯͡๏) But Lena is this Ken-dude better looking in words versus the fugly cover? I'm impossible..I know."

(ツ)I hear you. You can never take me too seriously..80% of the time I just like to tease.

LenaRibka Smith wrote: "Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Smith wrote: "๏̯͡๏) But Lena is this Ken-dude better looking in words versus the fugly cover? I'm impossible..I know."

I have my image of him in my head! ;) And it is not 1:1 to..."

message 18: by Smith (new)

Smith Barney Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Smith wrote: "Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Smith wrote: "๏̯͡๏) But Lena is this Ken-dude better looking in words versus the fugly cover? I'm impossible..I know."

I have my image of him in my head! ;) And it..."

That's me Lena. lol.

LenaRibka Smith wrote: "Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Smith wrote: "Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Smith wrote: "๏̯͡๏) But Lena is this Ken-dude better looking in words versus the fugly cover? I'm impossible..I know."
I have my image of him in..."

Lol! Now I know it! ;-P