Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies's Reviews > Midnight Angel

Midnight Angel by Lisa Kleypas

bookshelves: to-review

This book is about a cross between Jane Eyre and the Anastasia legend, with a Mary Sue as a main character and so much Angst (yes, it needs to be capitalized) that you can cut it with a knife, and I won't deny I loved every fucking moment of it.

Lisa Kleypas writes feeeeeeeeeelings and angst and tortured heroes and heroines so well. No matter how much I dislike her characters, her writing is absolutely superb. She is among the best HR writers that I've ever read.

How is it like Jane Eyre?
1. Orphan girl (beautiful and not plain) becomes a governess to a dark, tortured man
2. Said tortured man is has a physical defect (a missing hand! But that doesn't hurt his prowess in bed! *wink wink nudge nudge*) but is otherwise stunning
3. Heroine is governess to an odd girl without a mother, and with a father who loves her but doesn't know what the fuck to do with a little girl
4. Paranormal elements! Possible murder! A scene with a fortune teller!
5. A beautiful society woman who is Out To Steal the Tortured Man from our very young, innocent (but irresistible) governess. Spoiler alert: she fails!
6. Angst! Angst! Angst!

How is it like Anastasia?
1. Russian shit everywhere!
2. Missing Russian princess who has to hide her identity!
3. People is out to kill her!
4. Angst! Angst! Angst! AAAAH MOTHERLAND

This book is seriously kitschy, and it is one of my first HR. Upon a reread, it was just as good as the first time, which is more than I can say for many books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Angel.

August 11, 2013 – Shelved
August 11, 2013 – Shelved as: to-review
Started Reading
September 14, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Nastassja (new)

Nastassja Wow, quite a mix this book has. Amazingly intriguing review, Khanh!

Why, now I can't pass a book with Jaine Eyre and my namesake in one package kitschy or not xDDD

Incorrigible_bibliophile Ahhh this books sounds like the love child of my favorite childhood obsessions. Can't wait to read it!

message 3: by Jonnu (new)

Jonnu Lisa is one of the best.Unfortunately this series isn't one of her best. the second book "Prince of dreams" is awful

message 4: by Jilly (new)

Jilly Great review, Khahn! Sounds like an awful lot of angst! ;)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Jona wrote: "Lisa is one of the best.Unfortunately this series isn't one of her best. the second book "Prince of dreams" is awful"

I loved that too, however pedophile it is lol.

message 6: by Raph♛ (new) - added it

Raph♛ loved your review! AAAAH MOTHERLAND XD

message 7: by Brigid (new) - added it

Brigid I've just kind of accepted that Klepas is my ultimate catnip. She does write feelings especially well. I'm actually curious why she's able to do it so well and so many other HR authors aren't able to do so well.

Liz* Fashionably Late Angsty romance, a Mary Sue and you giving it five stars?? I've got to read this!

Should I read Jane Eyre first? ^^

message 10: by Kay Dee (last edited Sep 15, 2015 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kay Dee Liz* Fashionably Late wrote: "Angsty romance, a Mary Sue and you giving it five stars?? I've got to read this!

Should I read Jane Eyre first? ^^"

oh Jane Eyre was one i actually reread several times in middle school. loved that book. it reminded me of a book called Daddy Longlegs that nobody else seems to have read.

Liz* Fashionably Late I should read it ASAP then (:

Kay Dee Daddy-Long-Legs i think this was the book. i don't know why it reminded me of Jane Eyre.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten Well that sounds like a good time. Anastasia turned Jane Eyre. I can dig that.

message 14: by AO (new) - added it

AO Ugh. I love Lisa Kleypas, and I HAVE NOT READ THIS ONE.

message 15: by Kay Dee (last edited Sep 17, 2015 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kay Dee finished this last night. i must say lord Stokehurst ANNOYED me. I was like Alicia- he was supposed to be safe, a haven, a protector not an arrogant bully who pouts when he doesn't get what he wants. I know in romances they fall in love in a day but i just didn't trust him. the fact he kept being his arrogant self after they were married but then would later apologize made it believable but..eh i still didn't trust him or like him.

oh and the age difference kinda made me squirm but only when he was trying to seduce her and she was clearly saying no and pushing him back and he wasn't budging. no rape but it still made me squirm.

i shall read the next in the series and see if the man is just as annoying or squirm inducing. if so i will give up on Lisa Kleypas.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Oh gosh, you might not like the next one so much...the guy is even more cringeworthy, and the book was WEIRD

Kay Dee Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies) wrote: "Oh gosh, you might not like the next one so much...the guy is even more cringeworthy, and the book was WEIRD"

hmm we will see. i REALLY liked the ladies in the book. sigh. HR why are you so troublesome?

message 18: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne Ok, so I didn't care for Jane Eyre *ducks*, but I do love Kleypas. Would this still be something you'd recommend?

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies I do recommend this. Honestly, there are plenty of crappy Kleypas out there, and I feel like this series is one of the better ones in her repertoire.

message 20: by Anne (new) - added it

Anne Ok, cool. I've read quite a bit of her stuff, but for some reason I never found this one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Khanh!