Liza Wiemer's Reviews > What Happens Next

What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton

3152001

bookshelves: post-about-the-book-on-my-blog

Very realistic. Compelling. Painful. Serious issues. One of the best boyfriends. Ever. Definitely recommend.

What Happens Next was recommended to me by Rachel from http://rachelwritesthings.blogspot.com Thanks, Rachel!

I was immediately taken in by Sid's story, a sixteen-year-old girl who goes on a school ski trip with her two best friends. While on the trip, the three of them split up and Sid meets a college boy named Dax. He's fills her with lots of compliments and begs her to come to a party. Her friends are totally against it, by Sid ignores them. What happens next is absolutely horrible and real and a warning to girls to never go to a stranger's place.
As Sid tries to figure out how to deal with what happened to her, she meets Corey Livingston, a boy who seems like a complete loser. But as the two of them take months to get to know each other, something special blooms between them.

But Sid's past comes crashing back and she's forced to deal with her nightmares.

The things I found deeply compelling about this story:
1. That the plot line is absolutely feasible and a cautionary tale to young women.
2. The complexity of the friendships, especially between Sid, Kirsten and Paige.
3. Sid's mom and little brother Liam formed a special family.
4. Sid using running as a means to deal with her nightmares.
5. Corey's patience with Sid and his forgiving heart.
6. Sid's non-judmental way of looking at Corey.
7. The intimacy between Sid and Corey isn't rushed.
8. Sid's very difficult relationship with food.
9. The bullying. Why oh why do girls have to be so mean? When will people learn?
10. Corey's insistence that Sid hears him out, talks to him.

I definitely recommend this novel to all YA because what happened in this novel happens all the time. Maybe the circumstances and setting are different, but nevertheless, it happens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happens Next.

August 10, 2013 – Shelved
August 10, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
August 24, 2013 – Finished Reading
September 11, 2013 – Shelved as: post-about-the-book-on-my-blog

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

You're so welcome! One of my favorite things in the book was how real it all felt - Sid and her family, Sid and Corey, Sid's internal struggle. I didn't always agree with everything in the book(I felt the eating struggle was realistic but to me it felt almost too much for one book, but I understand why Colleen wrote about it), but overall this is my #1 recommendation of YA in 2012. I really hope we get more of Colleen's books soon - I think she is an author to watch both in her realism and skill in voice (and fictional boyfriends of course ;-)).

message 2: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Wiemer I have seen situations where a a major trauma has led to an eating disorder, because it is something that a YA has a sense of control over when they didn't feel in control over what happened during that traumatic event. So it made complete sense to me. Truly powerful novel. I hope more people will read it and share it with others like you did with me. :)