Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

bookshelves: favorites-all-time, lgbtqqiaap
Read 2 times. Last read June 9, 2019 to June 10, 2019.

4.5/5

I hate to say it, but I didn't love this book as much as I did the first time I read it. It's still a damn good book with an amazing set of characters, though. It just was that the book lacks a main plot and it jumps too much with so many POVs that don't exactly connect to what I label as the stories, Ruth and Idgie and Evelyn and Ninny.

Still, I have random comments on the book.

I will die on the hill that is Ruth and Idgie. I hate that the movie cut out the fact that they are queer women in a relationship. Idgie is so gay that it hurts and I love that she has Ruth and her own little hodge podge family.

Mrs. Threadgoode reminds me of a patient I saw for my practicum at a hospice. (At the time of writing this, she's still alive!) She is in her 90s and is, as we say, pleasantly confused. In other words, she has some kind of dementia. She talked and talked and talked and is the sweetest woman I worked with. And Mrs. Threadgoode was a pleasantly confused woman.

The ending is such a cliffhanger! I want to know more and read another three hundred pages of the book. I mean, it's not a cliffhanger in the usual sense, but it leaves you wanting more and to know more. But there is no more to read.

As I said, the characters are great. They're so much fun. Mrs. Threadgoode is as I already outlined. Evelyn Couch is a woman trying to find herself even as she approaches middle age. Idgie and Ruth are fantastic. But, really, this book is a love letter to the south and to southern women's past. It's not my lived experience, but I have to love a good old small town. They're always full of the best characters and have the funniest stories because everyone knows each other.

For me, this book is just as good as the movie. They're different yet the same. I just think this is a fantastically fun story and I need to come back to it again one day even though it didn't live up to my memory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

Quotes Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his) Liked

Fannie Flagg
“Remember if people talk behind your back, it only means you are two steps ahead.”
Fannie Flagg, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

June 24, 2018 – Shelved as: lgbtqqiaap
June 9, 2019 – Started Reading
June 9, 2019 –
page 177
44.81% "I hate Frank Bennet."
June 10, 2019 –
page 300
75.95% "I have a feeling that I'll finish this tonight. 🙈"
June 10, 2019 –
page 395
100.0% "Idgie Threadgoode is a damn gay icon and no one can tell me otherwise. RTC!"
June 10, 2019 – Finished Reading