Sara's Reviews > Sit Down and Shut Up: Punk Rock Commentaries on Buddha, God, Truth, Sex, Death, and Dogen's Treasury of the Right Dharma Eye

Sit Down and Shut Up by Brad Warner

Aug 27, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction, philosophy-religion, spirituality, zen-buddhism, music

This is the most practical and unpretentious look at buddhist philosophy I have ever had the pleasure of encountering. This is partly due to the fact that it deals specifically with zen buddhism, which has a tradition of doing away with the ceremonial noise of other sects, and partly due to the straightforward, colloquial style of the author (a punk rock bass player), who has no interest in anything that isn't immediate, real, practical and meaningful.

This is the also the first book I have ever come across that describes God exactly as I have described my conception of God to others: not an anthropomorphic, separate entity that is the one exception to it's own rules that operates like an overgrown parent doling out reward and punishment according to its whims, but rather as the operation of the universe itself. God as the law of cause and effect, and the logic of the workings of all things.

A very definite deviation from most of the writing to be found in the field.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sit Down and Shut Up.

Started Reading