Julie Darley (Never judge a Book by its Movie)'s Reviews > When the World Was Flat

When the World Was Flat by Ingrid Jonach

Aug 10, 2013

I received this ARC through NetGalley. I had requested it because I was intrigued by it's synopsis. It didn't disappoint, although there were times I was a little confused by some of the explanations about sliding in and out of differing dimensions, but that could be down to my complete lack of science smarts!

I have to say I fell in love with Lillie right from the get go, she was warm and funny and at times self effacing. I liked the flow of writing bringing in Deb, her mother (loved her to pieces) then onto her 2 friends Jo and Sylv. While I liked it's slow build up to her coming face to face with Tom, the expansion of her nightmares and what they could mean, I was a little disappointed I couldn't feel the chemistry between them until the night of the masquerade party. I wished we'd been able to see just a little more of what was going on in Tom's head other than the closed, shut down almost rudeness without so much as a 'conflicted pained look' to explain why he was keeping her at a distance.
Loved the fact Melissa was one to hate, laughed out loud at the face slapping by Lillie then by Sylv. Once we got to the part Tom started to explain everything to her, that is where I became lost in 'their story' It was beautiful to read it unfold. It was like watching Romeo and Juliet guest staring in The Time Traveler's Wife, and the ending had me undone. Completely and utterly.
This is not your usual love story of boy meets girl, girl falls in love with boy, boy does the same but is a complete jerk to girl until the last page when he tells her he loved her all along. This a beautiful, well thought out, wonderful story & I recommend it to anyone who love YA, with a side of science fiction. Awesome job Ingrid.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the World Was Flat.

August 10, 2013 – Started Reading