Lisa's Reviews > The Magician's Assistant

The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett

Aug 27, 2009

bookshelves: queer, united-states

I picked this book up a few times and lost interest before finishing the first page. But when I finally got past the first three or four pages, I was really hooked. This characters are just so, so compelling. They're actually so compelling that when I was partway through the book I almost lit a candle at church for two of the characters in it, temporarily confusing them with real people. Which I _think_ is more a testament to how well-written and absorbing the book is than to how socially maladjusted I am.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Assistant.

Started Reading
August 10, 2009 – Finished Reading
August 27, 2009 – Shelved
November 5, 2010 – Shelved as: queer
July 28, 2013 – Shelved as: united-states

Leslie "This characters are just so, so compelling. They're actually so compelling that when I was partway through the book I almost lit a candle at church for two of the characters in it, temporarily confusing them with real people." Perfect!! My sentiments exactly. And very funny by the way.

Rebecca That's so funny. After being submerged in the book for a while in my room, I got up and walked past a window, fully expecting to see a blizzard raging outside. It's the middle of summer here. :) So that is to say, I agree that it's a testament to her really wonderful writing.

message 3: by Lyn (new)

Lyn Hill I got a belly-laugh from your reflection on being tempted to light a candle at church for two of the characters. Thank you for that! Are you always so amusing? It must be a lot of fun to read with you!

Leslie 😂😂 that is a wonderful testimony for a book to have it be that real.