Janelle Dazzlepants's Reviews > Makeup: The Ultimate Guide

Makeup by Rae Morris

Aug 26, 2009

bookshelves: beauty, non-fiction, makeup, books-i-own
Read in August, 2009

I saw this book released in Australia a while ago, and wanted to look at it then never got around to it. Then I rediscovered my love for makeup a few months ago, and after seeing a Youtuber mention it, that was the tipping point for me. I'd read a million beauty blogs, watched a lot of beauty videos, and bought a whole lot of makeup, but there's just something about seeing the work of a top makeup artist, and hearing tips and tricks straight from them that's so inspirational and really credible.

That being said, seeing as I've read so many beauty blogs and watched a lot of videos, I wasnt sure that this book could tell me anything I didnt already know. I figured that it could give some really helpful pictorial illustrations on what to do, and that it could maybe help me in the contouring and makeup-for-your-eye-shape area, but that it would mostly be just an amazing source of makeup inspiration.

I was SO wrong :) I found the eye and face prepping tips to be extremely helpful, and I learned so many tips and tricks that even the makeup artists on the internet are getting wrong! It has so many useful tips and covers a really wide range of subjects - there's even a section on makeup for over 40s, 10 minute makeup looks, how to freshen up your makeup the morning after, do's and dont's for brows and false lashes, and even how to work with makeup on Asian eyes :)

There is also a really wonderful section on the different types of foundation out there, and it differentiates between oil-based, grease-based, water-based, velvet, satin, mat and luminous finishes. It also goes into details about coverage, and the book is really useful for makeup beginners, as well as more advanced makeup enthusiasts.

Even if you think you know all there is to know about makeup, pick up this book! The photography is gorgeous, the makeup tips are applicable to everybody, and one of my favourite parts is that it doesn't go into brand details - I hate how on the internet people seem to be MAC-centric, even though I've come across people that have all the MAC in the world and still can't do their makeup that well. PICK UP THIS BOOK.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Makeup.

08/26/2009 page 141
55.08% "This book is srsly amazing."
01/01/2012 page 1
0.0% "Re-reading! :)"
09/24/2016 marked as: read

Helen Fabulous review! The photography and inside tips made this book for me! :-)