Evelyn's Reviews > Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School

Ahead of the Curve by Philip Delves Broughton

Aug 26, 2009

Read in September, 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed this one, but then it resonates with so many areas of my life how could I not? Prior to 2002 I was seriously considering leaving my journalism career to get an MBA, and my first choice of schools? Harvard. In 2002 I discovered I was pregnant with twins, so I put the MBA idea away and instead, and purely by coincidence, after giving birth, took a part time job at Harvard Business School Publishing where I worked until 2006. I know this school well, know many of the 'players' and worked at the school's publishing arm during the timeframe described in this book.

On top of all this, I now work in the financial publishing field and see the result of so many of the things Broughton and his fellow students learned at HBS, and it's not pretty. Broughton himself has a sober, and I think very clear eyed view of his time at HBS, even when he admits to buying into the rhetoric, or feeling intimidated by the bombast, or learning how to view the world from a pure business perspective. Some may be bored by this book, though I found it edifying, and recognizable from my time in that same environment (albeit doing very different things).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ahead of the Curve.