Victoria Zagar's Reviews > Heart in Hand

Heart in Hand by L.T. Ville

it was ok
bookshelves: sports, m-m, love-has-no-boundaries, free-reads, contemporary

1.5 stars.

It's Trent's first day under his new boxing coach Gordon, who his mom blackmailed to get him to train her son. Chris, Gordon's young lover, takes an instant dislike to Trent and the two become rivals.

I have a few problems with this story. First of all, it feels incredibly rushed, especially towards the end where we are simply told the fate of the relationships in the story many years later. In fact we are told many things instead of being shown them. The sexual tension between Trent and Chris was a tension I wouldn't have known existed if the story hadn't told me. I felt no passion between them at all and had to rely on the story to tell me it was there. This really felt like a short where the author felt the need to get it out of the way in order to complete a chore. The story needed more time to breathe, more words to explain the feelings between these men in order to give it any emotional punch.

Secondly, I didn't like any of the characters at all. Chris was mean, Gordon was lying to and cheating on his wife, Trent's mom used blackmail to get her way and Trent himself seemed shallow. I didn't feel any love between the characters, just built up sexual tension that didn't even feel that hot because of the circumstances. The one sex scene in this is rushed and ends in tears, which didn't make me feel good at all. In the end I felt sorry for these people who never seem to get what they want and have to settle for whatever they can get. This didn't feel like a romance to me, but a story of two people who hated each other and needed to get their frustrations out. How they ended up in a committed relationship is beyond me and I can't imagine they will be happy together in the end.

It's hard to recommend this one. Perhaps if you are really obsessed with boxing or buff sportsmen this one will feel hot to you, but I felt it lacked passion and emotion. There are so many better stories out there that I say you should probably give this one a pass.

This review was cross-posted to Infinite Love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart in Hand.

Started Reading