Jenny's Reviews > Eat, pray, love: one woman's search for everything

Aug 26, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, travel
Read in November, 2009

'Elizabeth is in her thirties, settled in a large house with a husband who wants to start a family. But she doesn't want any of it. A bitter divorce and a rebound fling later, Elizabeth emerges battered yet determined to find what she's been missing.

So begins her quest. In Rome, she indulges herself and gains nearly two stone. In India, she finds enlightenment through scrubbing temple floors. Finally, in Bali, a toothless medicine man reveals a new path to peace, leaving her ready to love again.'

I had been recommended this book by a number of people saying how wonderful it was and how they could totally relate to her life. I'm still not sure. I found Elizabeth Gilbert to be a very self centred and selfish person. She ends things with her husband because she goes through some sort of mid life crisis, whinges and whines about how heartbroken she is and flits off to Italy, India and Indonesia (ironically all these countries begin with the letter 'I'). And when I thought about it, this enlightening trip must have cost her a small fortune! Not the sort of journey I could afford if I went through similar 'misfortune.' And then she clearly went and made millions from selling her story. I'm not bitter I promise!

Saying all of that I did like Gilbert's writing style. She uses a light-hearted, humorous tone, which does make this book very readable and I did actually enjoy it. My favourite section was Italy, I felt this section was very light hearted and sweet. She totally lost me in the India section. Perhaps due to the fact that I really couldn't relate to her enlightenment and I'm also very sceptical. The Indonesia section seemed to revert back to her style in Italy so once again I enjoyed it a lot more.

I won't be reading this one again. I gave it three stars as I did enjoy the book but Gilbert is possibly the most self centred person I've encountered. And she is completely unaware of it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, pray, love.

10/06/2009 page 90