Alex 's Reviews > The Silent Wife

The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison

bookshelves: reviewed, suspense-thriller-mind-fuck, contemporary, favorites
Recommended to Alex by: La-Lionne

** spoiler alert **
BR with Her Majesty La-Lionne, aka Space Giver

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merriam-Webster dictionary defines thriller as
-a work of fiction or drama designed to hold the interest by the use of a high degree of intrigue, adventure, or suspense (synonyms: cliff-hanger, hair-raiser, suspenser, nail–biter)

I don't know about other people, but IMO, this book has all the components of a psychological thriller. It is interesting, suspenseful and had me on the edge of my seat, especially the second half.

Yes, Your Majesty, it is the story of a relationship gone horribly wrong, because (view spoiler)

Yes, the narrative might be considered difficult and monotonous at times, but I actually found it soothing.

Yes, the characters felt robotic, but I prefer to think they settled into a comfortable routine in which he comes home from a hard day at work (view spoiler) and his partner greets him with drinks, a hot meal and very little conversation.

The characters are complicated and come with a lot of baggage.

Todd is the embodiment of the Oedipus complex
Hosted by imgur.com

and Jodi is his best shot at being reunited with his mommy.

She is the perfect home-maker, as pure in bed (view spoiler) as his mother was to him when he was growing up.

But as any man going through a mid-life crisis, he needs a younger, dirtier girl/woman to keep him interested in life. So he goes ahead and impregnates his best friend's daughter.
Hosted by imgur.com

Natasha (that's the home-wrecker's name) is everything Jodi is not: young, chatty and willing to get married and have kids. But you know what, Natasha?
Hosted by imgur.com

Jodi grew up in a messed-up family. Whenever her parents used to fight, they would just stop communicating. Her mother would stop talking to her father and at one time they didn't speak for a year.

Could the title refer to Jodi's mom giving her husband the silent treatment? Jodi uses silence as a passive-aggressive weapon. But she's a psychologist!! You'd think she'd practice what she preaches.

I don't know. Maybe it's the pent-up frustration and lack of real communication between them, maybe Jodi just snaps, but when Todd unintentionally humiliates her and demands that she move out of their condo, she gets scared and is manipulated into following a friend's suggestion of (view spoiler)

There are as many interpretations to all the events in this book (Jodi's older brother abusing her younger brother, Todd's violent father and his loss of innocence as he was forced to hit him in order to defend his beloved mother etc.) as there are opinions on it so I won't exhaust them. I'll just say that this psychological thriller (that's right, I said it!) DID live up to my expectations! Do not compare it to Gone Girl! The only resemblance between them is that they are both very well-written and the characters are complex and unique!

5 stars!

RIP A.S.A. Harrison

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Wife.

August 8, 2013 – Shelved
August 8, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 13, 2013 – Started Reading
August 13, 2013 –
5.0% "Her standards are not unreasonable, but when you wash a roasting pan it should not be greasy when you're done, nor should you wipe the grease off with your dish towel, which you are then going to use on the crystal. This is common sense.\n \n Hosted by imgur.com\n \n I have so much too learn!"
August 13, 2013 –
31.0% "Hosted by imgur.com\n \n Such an evil thing to do.."
August 13, 2013 –
42.0% "She was everything a man could want and so much more.\n \n Hosted by imgur.com\n \n Let's hope you're right about that, buddy."
August 15, 2013 –
47.0% "Maybe he needs to know that he's forgiven. Maybe he's waiting for a sign. And really, when you think about it, no actual harm has been done.\n \n Hosted by imgur.com"
August 15, 2013 –
58.0% "He's at the dentist.\n \n "It's a lesion," she said. "Looks like thrush." \n \n She prodded the spot with her gloved finger.\n \n "Have you been tested for HIV recently?"\n \n :)))\n \n Hosted by imgur.com"
August 15, 2013 –
81.0% "Finally, what you've been waiting for has happened, Your Majesty!"
August 15, 2013 –
100.0% "Easily 5 stars.\n Hosted by imgur.com"
August 15, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 21, 2013 – Shelved as: reviewed
August 21, 2013 – Shelved as: suspense-thriller-mind-fuck
September 10, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary
January 4, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)

La-Lionne Hahahahaha!!!

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* I love all your names ladies!!!

Alex Rosalinda wrote: "I love all your names ladies!!!"

Thank you, Rosa! :D

La-Lionne Rosalinda wrote: "I love all your names ladies!!!"

Alex La-Lionne wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "I love all your names ladies!!!"

Why thank you, Rosalinda, we do spend a lot of our time and energy on making them up :-D."

:))

Alex Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Enjoy lovelies!!!"

Yeah, thanks, Darkie! :)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Alex wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Enjoy lovelies!!!"

Yeah, thanks, Darkie! :)"

:D

message 10: by xrysa (new)

xrysa Lately I'm seeing Dean everywhere *_*
Have fun!!

Space Giver??LOL

message 11: by Alex (last edited Aug 12, 2013 08:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex kristina wrote: "Lately I'm seeing Dean everywhere *_*
Have fun!!

Space Giver??LOL"

You probably see him on my feeds a lot. :D

Yes, Space Giver, it's an inside joke. :D

Thanks! :)

La-Lionne So, are we gonna do this or do you need more space :-)?

Alex Let's do it! :) You wanna do it today?

La-Lionne Alex wrote: "Let's do it! :) You wanna do it today?"

Sure :-). I still have a little of The Flesh Cartel to go. I can start after lunch :).

Alex Ok! It's a date then! :D

La-Lionne Alex wrote: "Ok! It's a date then! :D"

Okay. I'm going to doll myself up and everything :-D.

Alex La-Lionne wrote: "Alex wrote: "Ok! It's a date then! :D"

You do that, Barbie! :)

La-Lionne Alex wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Alex wrote: "Ok! It's a date then! :D"

:-S.

Alex La-Lionne wrote: "Alex wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Alex wrote: "Ok! It's a date then! :D"

:-S."

Hahaha, better bring your pepper spray!

La-Lionne Alex wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Alex wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Alex wrote: "Ok! It's a date then! :D"

Hahaha, better brin..."

You can bet on your space lovin' a$$ I will :-).

Alex La-Lionne wrote: "Alex wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Alex wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Alex wrote: "Ok! It's a date then! :D"

Hahaha..."

Good doll girl! :))

La-Lionne Oh, you just wait!

Alex La-Lionne wrote: "Oh, you just wait!"

*waiting*

La-Lionne There!

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* So you are the cat on top, right? LOL

Glad you loved this one!

Alex Rosalinda wrote: "So you are the cat on top, right? LOL

Glad you loved this one!"

Yes, I'm the top. :))

La-Lionne Hahahaha, love it :-D.

Now, let's get down to business:

I'm putting emphasis on "designed to hold the interest", "high degree of intrigue", "suspense" and "hair-raiser". All those things describes Gone Girl, but I found none of those things in this book.
You can't describe washing dishes and (view spoiler) in the same monotonic way. That kills the suspense and thrill. And it's certainly not a psychological thriller, because the beginning gives away the ending. If the story is predictable, there is no mystery, no suspense, no mind games with the reader, you can't call it a psychological thriller.
If this book would have had fair and accurate description, I would have dove in with a different attitude and expectations. I'm sure I would have given a higher rating too :).

As for them being robotic. They could have been emotionless when it came to one another (which they were), but I, as a reader should have gotten more inside and more emotions from them. I'm only guessing here, but 80% of the book was their monologues, their inner thoughts. I should have gotten more info on who they were, but all I got was them procrastinating. I went there, saw and talked to that person, got home, made dinner, he came home, and so on. I would have loved to see some of their inner turmoil. In some chapters there was very little of it, and in others, none at all.

I would call it a thriller-ish, but only because someone died. But it's not a hair-raising or suspenseful at all.

;-P.

message 28: by Alex (last edited Aug 21, 2013 04:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex My dear, perhaps you would have felt closer to the characters if this had been written in a 1st person POV (like Gone Girl) and not in a 3rd person. :D

La-Lionne Oh, god, I would have died out of boredom, if it was written only from one of theirs pov :-S. Imagine reading about her cleaning, cooking and walking the dog in every chapter :-(.

Gone Girl wasn't written only from His pov, there were parts written from Hers, too.

Alex I know Amy's POV was there too. But you can't be sure Harrison would have monopolized Jodi's POV with trivial things like cleaning, cooking etc. Maybe we would have gotten a closer look at her psychology and you would have connected with her differently. That goes for Todd as well.

La-Lionne Alex wrote: "I know Amy's POV was there too. But you can't be sure Harrison would have monopolized Jodi's POV with trivial things like cleaning, cooking etc. Maybe we would have gotten a closer look at her psyc..."

Yeah, well, we didn't have that :-).

Alex So we should hate the book? :P

La-Lionne Alex wrote: "So we should hate the book? :P"

I don't hate it, I just don't like it :-). It has a misleading description and lacks a lot of elements that a psychological thriller should have. I can't give 5 stars to a book I didn't like only because of the potential it had. I think two stars is more than fair :-).

Alex Fair enough. :)

La-Lionne Alex wrote: "So we should hate the book? :P"

:-).

message 36: by Baba (new)

Baba  Great review, Alex!

Alex Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Great review, Alex!"

Thank you, Baba!