Mark's Reviews > Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free

Idiot America by Charles P. Pierce

Aug 25, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: social-criticism, popular-culture, politics

This book wasn't quite what I had expected. I thought I was getting a collection of biting and humorous essays on the nuttier aspects of the political and cultural right, like an Al Franken. Instead Idiot America is more of a history lesson, with forays into the fringe elements connected with 8 years of George W. Bush. Pierce uses the historical touchstone of James Madison to comment on how our society has gone askew from his original ideals written into the constitution and Federalist Papers.

It was an interesting and fairly quick read, but in the end quite forgetable. Charles Pierce was finishing this book during the fall of the 2008 presidential campaign, so the fact that Barack Obama won the election is not even included in the text. This is an Idiot America that does not yet contain "tea baggers." Pierce comes off as a windy college professor, who somehow believes that the dumbing down of America through the use of television is a new idea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Idiot America.

August 25, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
May 13, 2010 –
page 219
May 13, 2010 – Finished Reading

Mark The paperback is being released on May 4, so maybe I can get this read in time to sell a few copies in the bookstore. Stupidity is all the rage these days, thanks to "tea partiers" and their ilk.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) This one kinda missed the mark - so to speak - no pun intended. :)

Shellie (Layers of Thought) Mark -
Doesn't tea bagging have a sexual connotation these days as well? I am thinking this is a liberal term which the conservatives will not like? ;)

Mark It does have a certain connotation, but I recently read that the term "tea bagger" was coined by a columnist on the National Review, so...as always, they have no one but themselves to blame.

Shellie (Layers of Thought) Excellent...lol - I am living in the thick of it here in AZ. What a freekin mess.