Sarah's Reviews > American Gods

Aug 25, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: 2009, fun-fiction
Read in September, 2009

Read Neverwhere first, and liked it a lot, enough to go in for a second helping of Gaiman. But alas, was gravely disappointed. This one was much darker--and slower and generally not fun.

Those first hundred pages were nearly impossible to get through. I wasn't particularly interested in the characters, and nothing much was happening. But at the same time, it was unsettling. I had unpleasant dreams for several nights when I read the book right before I fell asleep there at the beginning. It got slightly more interesting and less unsettling as the story continued, but not much. The end was predictable and I was left with nothing to take away from the book--didn't find it left me with anything profound or meaningful or inspirational or compelling--which is fine as long as I'm being entertained. Which I wasn't.

And I could have done without the description of men peeing every 30 pages or so. Gaiman didn't find it necessary to describe other mundane bodily functions, and it would have been nice if he had done the same with this particular one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

09/07/2009 page 273