Laura's Reviews > World After

World After by Susan Ee

bookshelves: favorites, ya, romance, science-fiction, dystopias, fantasy

Wow. This book really takes you into the darker side of humanity and forces you to consider if angel's did have a dark side. I haven't read the first book in quite a while so I sometimes did get confused about the referencing to the things that happened before. These books are very interconnected. World After picks up right where Angelfall leaves off - with Raffe dropping Penryn off with her mother in the truck believing she is dead (give or take an hour or so).

The plot was fabulous. With some novels, you'll find that it sometimes gets narrowed down to just the main character and their problems but in this book, even if Penryn was still focused on her own family and personal problems, we still learn about the bigger situation and Penryn does try to figure it out and does sometimes do things for the greater good and not just her family/friends.

We also got to see how truly complicated Raffe is - he isn't your typical straight forward male heroine. I loved being able to see that part of him. I vowed not to have spoilers in this review so that's all I can say! As for the other characters, they were all spectacular as well. It was heartbreaking to see people's reactions to Paige and what she has become. We also learn that Penryn's mother isn't as crazy as she seems - she just has a different way of looking at the world with some of the same conclusions as other people.

I gave this book five stars because even though it didn't really evoke any emotions from me (the typical crying, laughing, shouting 'FINALLY!!!' at the ceiling that sort of thing), it did have me seriously consider my life and the lives of those around me. In English, we recently read 1984 and Brave New World. We're discussing human physiology and whether our world is headed toward a 'utopia' that's really a dysatopia. This book reveals the darker side of human nature and just what people are willing to do and what they want to do in terms of survival.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World After.

August 7, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read