Frances's Reviews > The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories by Angela Carter

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, fairy-tale, collection, owned, horror

As usual, four stars is my "recommend to anyone who'd like the genre" marker, but I'm not sure what the genre is. Dark and lovely and exquisitely written adult fairy tales I suppose, although it feels a bit odd to call them adult. (I mean, there's clearly sex going on, but it's a little distant, hardly ever explicitly referred to, and the emotional entanglements and compulsions are sad and/or creepy four times out of five.)

(It reminds me of Engines of Desire: Tales of Love & other Horrors a fair bit, actually.)

Ultimately, I think it's the sad distance in the tone of so many of the stories that keeps me from going for four stars; the writing was amazing and beautiful and evocative, but so many of the stories left me feeling a little like I was having a sad day, and couldn't tell anyone why. Definitely worth looking at, if fairy tale retellings are at all your thing, but be warned of possible disconsolation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories.

August 7, 2013 – Started Reading