Michael's Reviews > Blast of the Dragon's Fury

Blast of the Dragon's Fury by L.R.W. Lee

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Recommended to Michael by: L. R. W. Lee
Recommended for: Everyone

First and foremost, I was asked by the author to read this book from the perspective of an adult thinking on how a middle grader (elementary school) would experience the book. And I have to say immediately, I would and did let my 6th grader read the book and what I have heard from her is glowing reviews. Not only that, but I personally thoroughly enjoyed the book as well.

I would not have guessed that I would have been sucked into the book so quickly, but I was. As I asked my daughter what she thought, she just went on and on about how she felt she could relate to Andy and his adventure. We both thought that it was different that the King's wizard Mermin would have a lisp and it was even kind of annoying at times, but for me seemed to be a little part of the humor that the book brought out on comparing to other characters from some of the more well known books. Mermin is a brother to Merlin.

As Andy travels from our current world to the land similar to King Arthur's time, it becomes apparent that he is in for a real adventure. As he receives different tools to help him through his adventure, I found that I couldn't put the book down because I wanted to see what was next. The worst part was that as the book was concluding, I knew what was going to happen and now have to wait for the second book. I think the cliff hanger is perfect for children in elementary school to want to read book two as soon as it comes out. I know that I would have begged my parents to take me to the library or put it on hold so that I could read it as soon as it came out.

I have mentioned previously that my 6th grade daughter has been reading this book as well and I was surprised to hear her enthusiasm for the book as it is definitely based toward a young man's point of view and way of thinking. I think there is definitely a missing piece of section of books for boys in this age group that they can truly grasp onto and enjoy. I think this will be a perfect series for them to lose themselves in and enjoy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blast of the Dragon's Fury.

August 6, 2013 – Started Reading