Maria's Reviews > I, Robot

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

did not like it

20140215 ◊ I was profoundly disappointed by this book. It was recommended to me by many SF fans, after I mentioned that I couldn't make it through Philip K. Dick's early work (The Philip K. Dick Reader.)

Instead of revolutionary, or even anachronistically charming, I found this book to be a disjointed collection of histrionic, cruel, and even racist sentiments. The robots in these stories, built to perform slave labor, are referred to as "boy"; humans are called "master". This wouldn't be so disturbing if the robots weren't also imbued with random emotions: they cringe in embarrassment, scoff in superiority, and become anxious, excitable, and depressed. I couldn't stop wondering if these stories, written at the cusp of the Civil Rights Movement, express the anxiety of white dominant hegemony losing control over the black/former slave population in the United States.

The human protagonists in these stories are all hyperbolic caricatures. Every single one of them is histrionic and short tempered; they yell, throw insults, and call each other names at the drop of a hat. They pull their own hair, sweat, pace and throw things at each other. The only main female character is described as an ice-cold, bitter, inflexible woman.

As far as I'm concerned, I, Robot is a series of stories in which Asimov sets up convoluted, seemingly unsolvable puzzles regarding robot behavior, then has either his field operatives or "robopsychologist" swoop in and save the day in a blaze of melodramatic, gloating glory. Facile, uninspired, and unendingly tiresome.

I really wanted to like this book. Especially in light of how highly it was recommended to me, I really, really did. I'm going to give Foundation a try, because I'd honestly like to be able to appreciate something about "the father of science fiction."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I, Robot.

August 7, 2013 – Started Reading