Soesja Schelling's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

bookshelves: favorites

I think the fact that I finished this 800 page book within a week says it all: I absolutely loved this first installment of the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series. I have watched the entire tv show so far and was therefore a little wary about starting the book series, as I usually don't really enjoy books as much when I have already seen the movie or show, but in this case I only felt it added to my reading experience.

From the first page onwards, of course, I knew which characters I loved and which I would inevitably grow to hate. Arya's and Jon's chapters were definitely my favourites. Because I basically knew what would happen, every happy moment felt extra precious as I knew it would not last long, and everything bad that happened felt even worse as it all became so inevitable. Not once was I bored because I knew what was coming, if anything it was simply a joy to have it laid out on paper.

I knew I liked the story already, but never had I imagined myself liking the actual book so much. George R. R. Martin is just an absolute genius with insane attention to detail. I can only marvel at the amazing world he has created and I loved how all stories somehow fit together.

All in all, I'm so glad I started reading this series and cannot wait to get my hands on the second book. This will definitely get me through withdrawals when the sixth season of the show is finished and we have to wait another year!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

August 7, 2013 – Shelved
August 7, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 9, 2016 – Started Reading
June 9, 2016 –
page 99
11.83% "I rarely read two books at once but I can't yet seem to get into the other book I'm reading. I've had this laying around for a couple weeks and just couldn't wait any longer. I'm LOVING it so far, even more so because I've watched the show already I think."
June 11, 2016 –
page 389
46.48% "This is going so much faster than expected, even though I imagine reading five of these books might be quite the struggle. But I'm definitely enjoying this a lot!"
June 14, 2016 –
page 473
56.51% "Sansa is one of my favourite characters in the show right now (season 6), but oh my did I forget how annoying she is in the beginning. I also feel her chapter's add little to the actual story, I would've preferred to, for example, read some chapters from Robb's point of view."
June 14, 2016 –
page 529
63.2% "I knew this was about to go down... It still hurts :'D Normally I find it quite annoying to watch the movie / show before I read the book but with this it's actually not bothering me at all! That is, except for the fact that I know all the shit that's about to be unleashed on these characters and I just want to stop them from doing certain things and making certain choices, haha."
June 15, 2016 –
page 716
85.54% "Determined to finish this tonight. Bingereading is real."
June 15, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites