Ami's Reviews > An Incomplete Education: 3,684 Things You Should Have Learned but Probably Didn't

An Incomplete Education by Judy Jones

Aug 25, 2009

bookshelves: 2011

I nicknamed this book "the book that is making me smarter". Co-written by a Smithie (yay!), it is an incredibly comprehensive overview of just about everything, divided into the categories of: American Studies, Art, Economics, Film, Literature, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Religion, Science, World History, and a bonus Lexicon. I feel much better equipped to play Trivial Persuit, assuming that I've absorbed enough. I got this out as a library loan, so I ended up on a strict schedule of at least 20 pages a day. It's probably much better to have this around as a reference book, but don't let that stop you from doing a thorough first reading! I learned a bit about nineteenth century America poets, I enjoyed a labeled drawing of the architectural components of Gothic churches, I added classic films to my Netflix queue, I laughed and learned quite a bit from the section entitled, "A Bedside Companion to the Nineteenth-Century English Novel"; included were breakdowns of topographical references such as moors, copses, dales, glades, and shires; and a breakdown of Britain's aristocratic system. The music chapter included a great introduction to opera. Philosopher bios, briefs on the state of affairs of about twenty countries, overviews of various international agreements and organizations, maps, Freud, his hangers-on, comparison of 10 different versions of the Bible, in chart form, chaos theory, string theory, a humanoid family tree (Ardipithecus ramidus set off quite the little shitstorm by a certain Mr. Leakey),so so so much. Amazing. And everything, EVERYthing, is clever, witty, tongue-in-cheek goodness. Definitely made me feel smarter, and stronger, because it's about a ten pound book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Incomplete Education.