Kathryn's Reviews > Under the Dome

Under the Dome by Stephen King

This book was hard to read. When I started it was the blood, guts and graphic details of the dome coming down that was hard to stomach. I understand that it is a Stephen King novel, that he is the king of horror, and it is the first book of his that I have read... still.

So this book is about a town that finds itself under an invisible dome. When people get near it, the electric field causes machines to stop working, or in the case of a pacemaker, explode. It is an invisible dome that surrounds the town and no one knows where it came from or who did it. The townspeople are in shock as it seems surreal. Our protagonist is an unwilling hero who was actually trying to leave town when the dome appeared, and he is conscripted back into service by edict of the President himself. Our villian, James Rennie, is a town counselor/used car dealer who doesn't want his dirty dealings discovered and sets out to "rule the town". This, in turn, sets a Lord of the Flies anarchy in motion.

While the ending/reason for the dome is foreseen, it was still a bit of a letdown. I had hoped it would end with more of a bang. I look forward to seeing the show on TV.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Dome.

August 6, 2013 – Started Reading
August 6, 2013 – Shelved
August 7, 2013 –
page 161
August 7, 2013 –
page 161
14.99% "so the book starts with blood and gore. I get that it has to "set the scene" but it was stomach turning and I was cringing as I read. At the moment, I am at the point where the town is aware of the dome and the outside world is considering it a global threat of unknown origin. It has gotten better and I'm liking the writing."
August 13, 2013 –
page 276
25.7% "It seems that there is a protagonist in this plot not just the townspeople trying to figure it out but one distinct person/hero and a distinct "villian" per se who muddies things up."
August 15, 2013 –