Joni Cornell's Reviews > Feltmaking and Wool Magic: Contemporary Techniques and Beautiful Projects

Feltmaking and Wool Magic by Jorie Johnson

Aug 06, 2013

bookshelves: art-felt

Jorie Johnson is a superb and fastidious felt maker, and her unique designs and oeuvre is testament to her skill and talent. I’ve had this book in my library for ages and loved to flip through it for the beautiful colour plates, to admire the many wonderful projects in it, as well as gain insight into the history of felt making and the breeds of sheep. I hadn’t made any of the projects because I love to felt garments and Jorie’s way of making the fabric is not only unusual but also requires a top loader washing machine, which I don’t own. I’ve tended to feel too, Jorie’s approach is demanding (requires lots of time and patience) and the instructional photo plates rather small to see.

However, the other day I decided to tackle a couple of little projects from the book, as I was looking for ideas to work with children…first the felt ball – and I succeeded in making two without major fault lines in them (which are what usually occur in my felt balls), as well as the flower. Then lo behold, before I knew it I was marking out a template on cardboard and making one of the small bags and I’m not great with using resists. I have a little experience but Johnson lays the fleece very differently to what I have been taught. So I was expecting a disaster – something with holes and to use as a tea-cosy but happily I managed to finish the bag without it forming ridges at the side. I now have a very cute bag, which I’m really stoked about. I have to applaud the instructions…I don’t have an exact replica of a Jorie Johnson bag and I don’t want one – what I now have are the skills and a little more confidence to use a resist in making a work. I feel I’ll keep experimenting with the Johnson way.

I love the attention to detail and the fastidiousness from this master felt maker. Highly recommended and as the jacket suggests ‘foolproof felting’…
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feltmaking and Wool Magic.

August 6, 2013 – Started Reading