Book of Secrets's Reviews > Something in the Blood

Something in the Blood by J.G. Goodhind

bookshelves: its-me-not-you-dnf

Unfortunately, I had to mark this one as “did not finish.” I read half the book, and then very quickly skimmed the last few chapters to find out how the mystery played out. Even when all the right elements are there – a cozy mystery, English setting, quirky heroine – sometimes a book just doesn’t work for me.

I was intrigued by the premise of an American tourist gone missing on his holiday in Bath, England, however the plot was difficult to follow and just wasn’t interesting enough to hold my attention. Other than her obsession with Victorian undergarments, the main character, Honey Driver, fell flat. She had a few clever moments, but in the end, she’s not a character that I’ll remember.

I enjoyed the descriptions of Bath, and the English slang peppered throughout the story. Both gave me a sense of actually being there, which was fun. Though SOMETHING IN THE BLOOD wasn’t for me, I’d encourage readers to check out other reviews.

Source: Review copy from publisher

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something in the Blood.

August 5, 2013 – Started Reading