Brittany's Reviews > All for a Song

All for a Song by Allison Pittman

Aug 05, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction

Dorothy Lynn Dunbar is a backwoods girl from a small town about to be married to a handsome young preacher. But she has a secret discontent, and desire to see more of the world. So shortly before her wedding, Dorothy ventures out to the big city where she meets a charismatic woman preacher and nearly finds herself swept off her feet by a dashing, but worldly man. Can Dorothy hold on to her innocence in a world with no standards?
This book confused me a little bit. In some ways, it was very interesting. But I never really understood where the author stood on the issues addressed in the book. For example, I could not figure out if the author was against the flappers, or if she just thought that Dorothy should stay with her fiance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All for a Song.

Started Reading
August 1, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 5, 2013 – Shelved
August 5, 2013 – Shelved as: historical-fiction

Kristin I couldn't figure out if she meant for us to like the evangelist or dislike her. The impression was given we were supposed to like her and yet she came off kind of...snotty

Brittany Kristin wrote: "I couldn't figure out if she meant for us to like the evangelist or dislike her. The impression was given we were supposed to like her and yet she came off kind of...snotty"

That's exactly what I thought. And I couldn't figure out Roland either. He's portrayed as kind of wild, but at the end of the book Lynnie says'Roland has been in Heaven for years now." It was also hard to figure out if Lynn was supposed to be a country bumpkin behind the times, or if we are supposed to respect her for what she believed in. I'm super confused.