Judith's Reviews > Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

Sep 26, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: youngadultfiction
Read in December, 2007

Disappointing so far. The amnesia just seems to be a not-terribly-well executed device for a "nasty girl turned nice" story. I'm hoping it will improve, because I was a huge fan of "Elsewhere" but so far the amnesia is not convincingly realised--it's very pick and choose what Naomi can remember, and she makes references to things she simply wouldn't know about if she's lost the last four years--and anyway, I'm not terribly interested in her. I don't like her very much, which I don't have to to like the book, but I don't care about her (yet) and I'm not convinced by the plot.

I'll check back in if I change my mind.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac.

message 1: by elissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

elissa Sorry to hear you don't like this one. I also love ELSEWHERE, and was hoping this one would be as good. I actually started reading the ARC, got in to it, and then lost it on vacation this summer. I've been waiting to pick it back up again!

message 2: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura I liked the book - far, far more than I liked "Open Ice". Yes, there were problems, but from what my students tell me about concussions, it's pretty accurate about the amnesia part (although none have had anything this bad).