Denise's Reviews > Undone

Undone by Karin Slaughter

Aug 23, 2009

Read in August, 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Denise Crawford wrote:

4.0 out of 5 stars Karin Slaughter has redeemed herself and is back on my TO READ list..., August 28, 2009
By Denise "DC" (Missouri, USA) - See all my reviews

OK - I'll go ahead and admit I said it. Along with a million other fans, I said I would NEVER read another Slaughter novel (especially not the Grant County series) after what I still consider the horrible ending of Beyond Reach: A Novel of Suspense (Grant County) back in 2007. And I meant it. I wrote the author, bashed the book on amazon.com and even sent a nasty note to her publisher. Meanwhile, I cheated- but only because I once had loved her books so much, by reading about Agent Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and Det. Faith Mitchell in Triptych and Fractured. I grew to love those characters with all their foibles and flaws so imagine my surprise when I opened Undone to find them meeting the character of Sara Linton, now at Grady Memorial's ER in Atlanta! "Wow," I said to myself. "This should really be interesting."

And it was! I really enjoyed this book -- it was very fast paced from start to finish with a believable ending that was satisfying this time.

I won't rehash the plot but will summarize by saying that the serial killer in this story is obsessed with anorexic, independent, and bitchy single women. The women are kidnapped and held for days in basements or caves and tortured. The fact that they aren't very likeable does hinder the investigation a bit. Who is snatching these women and why?

I will say that in order to fully appreciate all the nuances and depth in this suspense thriller, you really should go back and read all the Grant County books in order and also the two titles featuring Will and Faith. Lucky you!

Previously an author whose books I immediately bought on release day, I had abandoned Karin Slaughter, but I'm putting her back on my "must read" list again now that she has redeemed herself and written this one. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undone.

Sabrina I love your review. I am currently reading Undone. I bought it awhile ago, but, I was so upset by the ending of Beyond Reach I just couldn't start it. I'm glad I'm finally giving it a chance. I'm on page 239 and an enjoying it so much.
:-)

Denise I'm glad -- I did too. There's another one to follow Undone as well (Broken). It wasn't as good, though, but still...once a fan...