Patricia's Reviews > Cold Fusion 2000

Cold Fusion 2000 by Karl Drinkwater

bookshelves: own, review

I have to be honest, if you ask me what genre this book is, then I have no idea. If you ask me if I liked it, then the answer is yes, did I love it from the beginning? no, at first I was annoyed and frustrated, Alex was such a pompous smartass that I could have slapped him senseless.
I kept thinking a few things along the way, one, that I must be a total ignorant because there were several moments when I felt totally outsmarted, the whole physics thing was a bit too much at times, another thing that kept me thinking was the whole back to the late 1900's feeling, reading about what we used to have, slow (crappy) computers, the first mobile phones, the whole Y2K thingy, and I could go on and on and on....I am part of that generation and it felt like a Back to the Future trip, it was great to see how much Alex foresaw and how much technology has evolved in such a short period of time. Apart from that there was this Jane/Lucy thing, if I have to be real honest I think I should re read it, the ending was sad and it revealed something that I felt was not possible, I am not sure if I got it right, I told you, this book is way smarter than the average and I think I understood one thing when in fact it went deeper and more complicated...I cannot give away the plot but I thought that the whole identical twins plot plus the ghostly scenes were a bit far fetched, once I was finished I thought, why did Jane go to Manchester in the first place? Was the blurb of the book right or there was a hidden truth, Jane had to leave ok, but why? is it because she had a family or because she knew what the future awaited for her? Was that little bit at the end the whole book revelation?
And to finish with this, I had the last recurring thought, I kept wondering how much of it was fiction and how much was the author's life, he wrote this very difficult book that even had a super difficult questionnaire at the end which by the way, I couldn't answer, lol! so I have had that feeling during the whole book, and that was that there might be some real thing behind this book...if there was not, then, this book is even more brilliant because we were under the skin of a very complex character.

I also thought of Sheldon Cooper a lot. lol!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Fusion 2000.

August 4, 2013 – Shelved
August 4, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 4, 2013 – Shelved as: review
August 4, 2013 – Shelved as: own
August 15, 2013 – Started Reading
August 15, 2013 –
August 15, 2013 –
16.0% ""By the time he slipped on some clean white socks and his sandals..." That made me laugh! on a side note: what a jerk!!! I pity and hate him..Alex is annoying me!"
August 16, 2013 –
25.0% ""By the time he slipped on some clean white socks and his sandals..." That made me laugh! on a side note: what a jerk!!! I pity and hate him..Alex is annoying me!"
August 17, 2013 –
August 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Karl (new) - added it

Karl Drinkwater Many thanks Patricia, that is awesome! Just what I hoped: people dislike Alex but come to care as they get to know him and the mental obstacles he creates.

The third section here covers some of the main interpretations:

(Spoiler!!!!) My own view is that she died, then came back as a mercy mission, to help Alex, but also - eventually - to help herself. Her window of opportunity opened up due to the physics experiment taking place plus Alex hitting a low point, and she lived in his mind for 72 hours, though it only took a few seconds in the real world. Well, that's the gist, anyway! (End of spoiler!!!!)

Patricia Oh WOW!!!! that was way more complicated than my own thoughts. I mean, the conclusion of her being the one and the same was ok and I also knew she died but I never EVER thought about it that way....thanks for the answer, it is a real treat having the opportunity of "discussing" a book with its very real author.

message 3: by Karl (new) - added it

Karl Drinkwater No problem - and it doesn't matter if someone doesn't come up with this explanation. My plan was a book you could enjoy on different levels, and you can go as deep down the rabbit hole as you like!