Nikki 's Reviews > The Children Of Men

Aug 22, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: dystopia, speculative-fiction
Read from May 16 to 17, 2010

This hovers between three and four stars for me, but ultimately gets three because it felt dry. I liked some of the imagery, and I liked the ideas, but the writing failed to have urgency for me. The lead-in was long, but that didn't make it tense for me.

I'm not saying it's not interesting to read, though. I polished it off in a day, in exactly the same way as An Unsuitable Job for a Woman. It just never caught fire in my head, never really became a compulsion to keep on reading. The characters never felt alive to me, even with all the detail about them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children Of Men.

Erik Ever see the film?

Children of Men ranks among the very few book/movies in which the movie is vastly superior to the book. Movie is amazing.

Nikki I haven't! I'm really bad at actually getting round to watching movies. *eyes backlog guiltily*

Erik Nikki wrote: "I haven't! I'm really bad at actually getting round to watching movies. *eyes backlog guiltily*"

ooo. really, it's worth watching if you like films. It has some amazing long cuts, the best I've ever seen.