Tie Kim's Reviews > The Intelligent Entrepreneur: How Three Harvard Business School Graduates Learned the 10 Rules of Successful Entrepreneurship

The Intelligent Entrepreneur by Bill Murphy Jr.

In my previous job, I worked with dozens of salespeople who heralded Glengarry Glen Ross, as the quintessential film noir that you *had* to see if you were serious about a career in sales. In this book, Bill Murphy Jr.’s does an admirable job in providing readers with insights into the unique experiences of 3 classmates from Harvard Business School’s class of 1998 who, shortly upon graduation, take the plunge to become entrepreneurs.

Launching a startup requires you to be both the “Big Idea Person” (visionary) as well as the “Get Stuff Done Person” (executor) in the early periods, and demands an indefatigable persistence and mindset. I followed the euphoria and hardships each faced, and the dogged determination that often leaves the entrepreneur feeling isolated and uncertain about the choices they’ve made. Overall, this is a wonderful narrative of the key rules of successful entrepreneurship.

Favorite quotes and takeaways:

* “Being an entrepreneur is about saying, ‘I know this doesn’t exist. This segment isn’t being addressed. But I can go do it.’”

* Think and plan for bigness. Approach everything with a “Why can’t we…?” mentality.

* “As soon as you become an entrepreneur, you become a salesperson...You’re persuading people to give you money, join your company, and buy your product.”

* Credibility = Competence + Integrity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Intelligent Entrepreneur.

August 2, 2013 – Shelved