C.G. Drews's Reviews > Wonder

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2014, middle-grade, ya-male-narrators

I've wanted to read this forever , and then finally FINALLY my library smiled upon me and threw this book at my face. (Thank you, library.) But I'm just wondering if it's MG or YA? I spent most of the book trying to figure it out. While it's about the life of August, who is 10 years old...I felt the multiple POVs and the thickness of the book overall and the not much action or dialogue turned it into a YA book.

I definitely enjoyed the book! No doubt about it! I devoured it on 1 day. It made me smile and my faith in humanity was restored. EXCEPT FOR WHEN IT WASN'T. Why are there mean people in the world?! Why are there stupid and cruel people in the world?! I could throw something right now. I could.

I appreciated how the book looked at this story from all angles. I wasn't a fan of the multiple POVs. It's split into parts, and narrated by so many people! I loved the different perspective, but I think Miranda and Justin's sections were unnecessary. Also Justin's had NO punctuation and 'scuse me, but that bothered me a lot. I'm glad his was short. But I DO so like how being deformed didn't just challenge Auggie's life: it was a huge part of his sister's life, and his friends lives, and his parents' lives. Obviously it's harder to cope with something like that yourself...but I didn't ever feel Auggie's sister was a jerk because she was struggling. This is a very honest book, and I appreciate that.

I also loved that there were "cool" adults! Adults can get sidelined a bit. You know, they're dorky and old and don't understand anything, blah blah blah..sooo, we cut them out of stories. When the opposite is true. Adults and parents and guardians are HUGELY important. And if you're lucky and have supportive parents, then God bless you, they need to be talked about. I loved how supportive Auggie's parents were and how the Middle School director was a nice guy. Adults are so often villains in books...so this is pretty refreshing and awesome.

I looooved the writing. It was thick and clunky at time (I would've liked MORE dialogue), but it was very true to everyone's voice. I really felt like I was inside a 10-year-olds head. Loved that. August was awesome. He was honest and so brave and I really ache for what he had to go through because: PEOPLE ARE JUST SO MEAN.

WHY? WHY ARE THEY MEAN?

The resolution was SO FREAKISHLY AWESOME. I loved the turn-around. I loved Auggie's trip to camp. This book is so much more than a book about deformity and disability. It's about people , basically. Nice people and cruel people. I loved how a lot of it centered on the them, "be kinder than necessary". That is the best motto anyone can live off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder.

August 2, 2013 – Shelved
August 2, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
June 4, 2014 – Started Reading
June 4, 2014 –
page 193
60.31% "This book makes me sad. But it's incredible."
June 5, 2014 – Shelved as: contemporary
June 5, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
June 5, 2014 – Shelved as: middle-grade
June 5, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Without having read the book, I've been trying to figure out where to put this book in my library. I know sites say it's appropriate for 4th or 5th and up. But do you think it would more so fit starting at 6th grade for middle school?

message 2: by holly (new)

holly This book, was so, so sad and so good!

message 3: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe This book is just so good, right? <333

C.G. Drews Incredibrian: I have no idea, honestly. We don't have middle school in Australia...so I don't know! It's what I'm trying to figure out too.

Holly and Zoe: YES YES IT WAS. WOW. VERY IMPRESSED RIGHT NOW. *sniffles*

message 5: by Mariam (new)

Mariam Incredibrian: I am in sixth grade and read it last year. My librarian said it was a fifth grade book.

message 6: by Mariam (new)

Mariam Oh, and I totally agree wih Holly and Zoe.

La La I think it is supposed to be MG because she fudged the middle school thing to keep August's age 10/11. In New York State middle school starts in 6th grade, not 5th grade, and if I am not mistaken, this is the demarcation line for middle school for the entire US. This is one of my pet peeves when it comes to Contemporary stories. I don't like real world things fudged, tweeked, or not researched. With this story because he had been home schooled it would have made more for August to have been tested a grade ahead and been jumped into sixth grade.

message 8: by The Captain (new) - added it

The Captain I am about to start reading this one. We shall see how it goes!

Andrea Middle grade, definitely. Ohhhh, how I adored this book. My kids were captivated as I read it aloud. We cried. We got angry. I gave it as a gift to my son's teacher way back when and she reads it aloud to her class now every year. "Be kinder than necessary!"

Demet Wonderful review! I absolutely loved this book. The unique voices, the heart, the humanity. While there's YA perspectives, I think the themes, tone and content that's covered in all POVs makes this book MG. :))

Mariah Roze Our Diversity in All Forms Book Club is reading this for July. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :)