Nikki 's Reviews > The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: or the Murder at Road Hill House

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale

Aug 21, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: crime, mystery, non-fiction, history
Read in February, 2010

I've been meaning to read The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, and doing a course on crime fiction finally pushed me in that direction. I'd been told it has both the history of 'real life' detection and something of the development of crime fiction -- which is true, it does, though it's somewhat difficult to follow, sometimes, under layers and layers of detail. Kate Summerscale's work is certainly thorough, and from all I can tell, well researched. However, the murder that she's supposed to be writing about is possibly given less space than all the people involved, mostly Mr Whicher (unsurprisingly) and the lives of everyone involved after the case. In some cases it's relevant to the solution and to the history, but sometimes it seems rather tangential. In any case, the sheer amount of detail and the dryness with which it's written put me off somewhat.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher.