Jayson's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

(A-) 83% | Very Good
Notes: A bit too short, and the illustrations don’t really work. Still, it’s a fun, light and whimsical take on its macabre milieu.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

September 3, 2009 – Started Reading
March 26, 2015 – Shelved as: genre-supernatural
September 15, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2009
January 6, 2017 – Shelved as: genre-childrens
February 28, 2017 – Shelved as: genre-gothic

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Lauren Have you read the graphic novel version? (Unpopular opinion time: I preferred the GN to the novel) - it's superb!

Jayson Lauren wrote: "Have you read the graphic novel version? (Unpopular opinion time: I preferred the GN to the novel) - it's superb!"

Thanks for the recommendation, Lauren! I've not read the graphic novel. I've been meaning to, though. It's been on my radar for a while. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it!

All Gaiman books seemingly get adapted to graphic novels – many of his short stories too. I also mean to read the graphic versions of Coraline and American Gods. A Study in Emerald recently came out, with Rafael Albuquerque on art, so I'm excited to take a look at that one as well.

Ivana - Diary of Difference I loved your review! Thank you for putting this book on my radar!

Jayson Ivana A. wrote: "I loved your review! Thank you for putting this book on my radar!"

Thanks you very much, Ivana! I'm so happy to have gotten this on your radar, it's one of my favorite Neil Gaiman books :)

Cale I'll second Lauren's recommendation of the graphic novel version. I loved the prose version, but the P. Craig Russell artwork makes the story come alive in all new and amazing ways.

Jayson Cale wrote: "I'll second Lauren's recommendation of the graphic novel version. I loved the prose version, but the P. Craig Russell artwork makes the story come alive in all new and amazing ways."

Thanks, Cale! I should really try that version. Dave McKean does illustrations for my edition, and as much as I enjoy and appreciate his work with Gaiman on Sandman and Coraline, I don't think it's suited well to this story. I'm not familiar at all with P. Craig Russell, so it's good to hear he does great work with it :)

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara too short ! no way for a children's literature book! the chapters were long enough for a child/ young adult but if you are talking about an adult book yes it was to shot but not for a young adult ;0

Jayson Tara wrote: "too short ! no way for a children's literature book! the chapters were long enough for a child/ young adult but if you are talking about an adult book yes it was to shot but not for a young adult ;0"

Thanks for your comment, Tara. I'm afraid that I have to disagree with your premise. I believe that books written for children and young adults can be quite lengthy so long as there's an appropriate complexity of language. 500-800 page Harry Potter and Percy Jackson books do just fine with younger readers. That's not to say this one needs to be exceptionally long, just that it feels slightly insubstantial or incomplete, and could use some more story to take it to the next level.

Jayson leslie hamod wrote: "Love this review Jayson!"

Thanks a lot, Leslie :)

message 10: by Niki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki The illustrations by Dave McKean didn't work for me either, but I can personally vouch for Chris Riddell's version! He's become one of my favourite illustrators ever since.

Jayson Niki wrote: "The illustrations by Dave McKean didn't work for me either, but I can personally vouch for Chris Riddell's version! He's become one of my favourite illustrators ever since."

Thanks for the recommendation, Niki! I'm happy to hear you like Riddell illustrations so much. If I decide to re-read I'll have to check out that version.

Haytham Reid Oh, I don't remember the Portuguese translation having any illustrations :(

Jayson Haytham wrote: "Oh, I don't remember the Portuguese translation having any illustrations :("

Sorry to hear that, Haytham. You have my sympathies. On the bright side, I don't know if this set, at least, added too much to the experience. And besides, it's an excuse to do a re-read if you're at all inclined to try out the English version :)

message 14: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Great review Jayson!💖

Jayson Kat wrote: "Great review Jayson!💖"

Thanks so much, Kat :)