Jayson's Reviews > Coraline

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: A genuinely disturbing and creepy story with vivid imagery, it’s well-rounded and goes at a perfect pace and length.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coraline.

October 1, 2009 – Started Reading
March 26, 2015 – Shelved as: genre-supernatural
September 15, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2009
January 6, 2017 – Shelved as: genre-childrens
February 28, 2017 – Shelved as: genre-gothic

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Navidad (new) - added it

Navidad Thélamour I've had this book on my TBR forever and I REALLY want to read it!

Jayson That's great to hear Navidad, you totally should! It's very good, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Leila I read the book then watched the DVD Jayson. I too would recommend both to anyone.

Jayson Leila wrote: "I read the book then watched the DVD Jayson. I too would recommend both to anyone."

Yes, certainly. They're both very well done. I actually saw the movie first, and enjoyed them about equally.

Kadi P I watched the movie when I was a kid. Gave me nightmares. Still creeps me out. It’s a great movie. I only really read the book to compare it. The book is even more creepy if you read it in the dark. Well, most things are.

Ethan Yaasss

Ethan It's such a good book... 🤤

Peter It's such a creepy read. I really like it. But almost everything Neil Gaiman writes is golden.

Jayson Kadi wrote: "I watched the movie when I was a kid. Gave me nightmares. Still creeps me out. It’s a great movie. I only really read the book to compare it. The book is even more creepy if you read it in the dark..."

Yeah, I watched the movie first too, and I agree the book is creepier. Especially since my edition is illustrated by Dave McKean, who does lot of horror style art. He also did Sandman with Neil Gaiman and Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth with Grant Morrison.

Jayson Ethan wrote: "Yaasss"

Happy you think so 😁👍

Jayson Ethan wrote: "It's such a good book... 🤤"

I agree, I enjoyed it a lot too :)

Jayson Peter wrote: "It's such a creepy read. I really like it. But almost everything Neil Gaiman writes is golden."

I feel the same way. I'll read anything Neil Gaiman, he's rarely disappointed :)

message 13: by Sud666 (new)

Sud666 "I'll read anything Neil Gaiman, he's rarely disappointed"

Why I couldn't have said it better myself..so I just quoted you instead.

Jayson Sud666 wrote: ""I'll read anything Neil Gaiman, he's rarely disappointed"

Why I couldn't have said it better myself..so I just quoted you instead."

Glad to be of like mind about it, Sud666 😁👍

message 15: by Alexis (new) - added it

Alexis I'm ashamed to say this is the one Neil Gaiman book I haven't gotten to yet. I'll get there eventually.

Jayson Alexis wrote: "I'm ashamed to say this is the one Neil Gaiman book I haven't gotten to yet. I'll get there eventually."

I know how you feel. It's the same with me and Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Britton Summers My first Gaiman work, and not a bad one to get started on, asides from The Sandman that is.

Jayson Britton wrote: "My first Gaiman work, and not a bad one to get started on, asides from The Sandman that is."

Good to know, Britton. My first Gaiman book was American Gods, followed by several more immediately afterward.

Ethan i loved coraline when i read it in like, the fifth grade. I thought it was pretty creepy but im curious what you mean by "genuinely disturbing" ... maybe i need to read it again haha

Jayson Ethan wrote: "i loved coraline when i read it in like, the fifth grade. I thought it was pretty creepy but im curious what you mean by "genuinely disturbing" ... maybe i need to read it again haha"

Well, it's not artificially disturbing. It doesn't use tricks or gimmicks to induce disquiet like a lot of books do. This shows skill and subtlety in how it creates feeling. That's what I mean.

message 21: by Juho (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juho Pohjalainen The story itself is disturbing already, without Gaiman needing to add in any extra flavour or whatever: he just has to tell the story in its own terms.

Jayson Juho wrote: "The story itself is disturbing already, without Gaiman needing to add in any extra flavour or whatever: he just has to tell the story in its own terms."

Agreed, exactly my point 😃👍