Carol's Reviews > Golden Boy

Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin

bookshelves: young-adult, ebook, contemporary, read-2015, favorites

"If you love someone, you love them. It doesn't matter where they came from or if they're a boy or a girl, or if you fight, or if they're weird, or if they find it difficult to communicate with you; you just fucking love them."

Max is an intersex child. (previously called hermaphrodite) His story is not an easy read. It begins in a rather shocking manner and continues in a sometimes disturbing and often unsettling direction.

When I first started reading GOLDEN BOY, I wasn't quite sure where the author would take us with such a challenging and unusual subject matter, but as I read along, I soon found myself engrossed with the characters and could not stop reading until I knew more about Max, his rare condition of intersex and how his story would end.

Join Max's tumultuous world where he battles inner-demons and makes tough choices for a very special, emotionally taxing and thought provoking journey. Whew! What a learning experience! (view spoiler) Look forward to more from Abigail Tarttelin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden Boy.

August 1, 2013 – Shelved
December 7, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
December 7, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
December 7, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 18, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

Suzanne Knew you'd LOVE it, Carol! So glad. Can't wait for your review. I saw this by 'accident' on my library shelf. Fell in love with it and bought it to share around.

Carol Oh Suzanne......what to say? Didn't you just love Max?.....and Sylvie? Great book!

Suzanne Yes I did! I think I mentioned 'love' a few times in my review! I loved that she loved him! I need to re-read lol ;D

Karen So good!!

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Hurry with your review!! :)))

message 6: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie I second Jen! Chop Chop :-)

message 7: by ❀Julie (new) - added it

❀Julie Guess I need to add this one! Can't wait for your review Carol.

Carol ❀Julie wrote: "Guess I need to add this one! Can't wait for your review Carol."

Yes, you do Julie!

Carol Jen and Melanie.....you are cracking me up!!!

Fabian {Councillor} This one sounds very unique and promising. I may consider reading it one day. :) Great review, Carol!

Carol Councillor wrote: "This one sounds very unique and promising. I may consider reading it one day. :) Great review, Carol!"

It was certainly a learning experience for me Councillor and definitely a worthwhile read....and thank you! :-)

Suzanne Love this book. Love this review. You've crawled inside my mind Carol! Read it gals, you'll be happy you did!!

Carol Suzanne wrote: "Love this book. Love this review. You've crawled inside my mind Carol! Read it gals, you'll be happy you did!!"

Thank you Suzanne. I won't be forgetting Max or "his" story any time soon!

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen I just picked this one up today. Woohoo. Glad it was great. Thanks Carol!

message 15: by Denise (new)

Denise Reilly I'm reading right now Suz. I love sweet Daniel. He is so worried that his big bro will die and asks to snuggle up in his bed. Max wants to please his little brother so he says why can't we snuggle up in your bed. It's more comfy than mine. I feel so for Daniel to see his brother in emotional and physical pain. The boys love each other so so much. A heartbreaking, meaningful, moving ,emotional story. Sylvia is beautiful too.

Suzanne Denise wrote: "I'm reading right now Suz. I love sweet Daniel. He is so worried that his big bro will die and asks to snuggle up in his bed. Max wants to please his little brother so he says why can't we snuggle ..."

Yes it's fantastic, all those characters are just so good. So glad you're reading it!

message 17: by Carol (last edited Dec 08, 2015 04:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Jen wrote: "I just picked this one up today. Woohoo. Glad it was great. Thanks Carol!"

Look forward to your review Jen!!!! :-)

message 18: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Great review Carol! Thank you.

Carol Denise wrote: "I'm reading right now Suz. I love sweet Daniel. He is so worried that his big bro will die and asks to snuggle up in his bed. Max wants to please his little brother so he says why can't we snuggle ..."

Wasn't Daniel just the most intelligent little guy too Denise!!!

Carol Melanie wrote: "Great review Carol! Thank you."

Hope you get a chance to read it Melanie. :-)

message 21: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Wow! Sounds like a great read...must add :)
Great review!!

Suzanne Good decision, De!

message 23: by Iris P (new) - added it

Iris P Your review was a joy to read Carol. I must get to this story, probably next year thought...

message 24: by ❀Julie (new) - added it

❀Julie Great review Carol! I'm intrigued...will add for sure. :)

Carol Thanks a bunch Deanna, Iris and Julie.......what a book!!!

message 26: by Tabetha (new) - added it

Tabetha Great review, Carol!! It is on my list!

Carol Tabetha wrote: "Great review, Carol!! It is on my list!"

Good deal, it's quite a read!

Karen Great review Carol, glad it was a 5 star read for you also

Carol Karen wrote: "Great review Carol, glad it was a 5 star read for you also"

Thanks Karen...unforgettable!

message 30: by Cecily (new) - added it

Cecily This has been on my TBR for a while, and you make it sound more appealling. You don't have Middlesex on your GR shelves, which is a brilliant novel. Different from this in many ways: it's about many kinds of transformation, down the generations, but at its heart, there's an intersex child.

Carol Cecily wrote: "This has been on my TBR for a while, and you make it sound more appealling. You don't have Middlesex on your GR shelves, which is a brilliant novel. Different from this in many ways: it..."

It's a Great read Cecily! Hope you enjoy! Middlesex has been on and off my shelves. Thanks for your comments!

Petra-X I really enjoyed this book. But I find it very difficult to sell. Parents don't want their kids to read about such matters.