Petra's Reviews > The Last Runaway

The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier

it was ok

Oy! I've enjoyed a couple of Chevalier's other works many years ago. They are light, interesting, fun books to read/listen to. The artistic side of the story adds appeal and interest for me, as I enjoy crafting and the arts, etc.
This story, however, seems to miss all the marks. The characters seem flat. Honore is too naïve, despite her sheltered upbringing. She is acting on convictions that we, the readers, can't believe she has...or, if she has them, where she got them from. She shakes at an unkind word, yet defies her family and risks their property and lives, for a conviction. A wonderful thing and something I could endorse but it doesn't seem like something the character, Honore, would do. She's not that strong.
Also, the historical aspects of this book, although in the forefront, seem rather like a background story. They are a cheap cover-up for a romance story that doesn't seem plausible.
I am on disc 6 of 8 and the story is just beginning, in many ways. The previous section has been all set up, (chaste) lusting and quilts....much, much talk about quilts, fabric, pattern, design and technique.
The last two discs may surprise me yet but I'm not hopeful.

Well, I finished listening to this today. Nothing changed. This story does not pull the reader in or connects in many ways. It seems to be a shell of a story, with no real detail or substance.
I suppose Chevalier is trying to say that Honor had to decide about her life and how to be happy. The story of the runaways and the friendships Honor made were filler; they brought nothing to the story, which is sad. There are some interesting characters in this book but their story doesn't come out.
A fluff of a story. Chevalier's other books were enjoyable and fun. This one missed the boat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Runaway.

August 1, 2013 – Started Reading