Amanda's Reviews > With a Tangled Skein

With a Tangled Skein by Piers Anthony

193580
Aug 21, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy

I haven’t yet posted on the Incarnations of Immortality series, but book 3 seemed like a good place to start. While I enjoyed one and two, this one is so far my favorite. This could possibly be because I love the idea of fate, and I love the way Anthony portrays it in the book.

Niobe’s husband is killed and she goes to try her luck with the Incarnations at keeping him alive. Instead, they offer her the position of Clotho, the spinner of the threads of mortality and one of three women that inherit the single body of fate.

Unlike her predecessors, Niobe’s role is different because she plays a part in Satan’s evil scheme. It is her granddaughter who is slated to save the world from Satan’s plan and her daughter who is to become another Incarnation. After leaving her office as Clotho and returning to birth her daughter and help raise both girls, Niobe is once again asked to take a position with Fate, this time as Lachesis, the maker of the tapestry. And when Satan takes her son’s soul to hell, it is she alone who must go head to head with the devil to save the magician.

After reading two books where the incarnation is male, I enjoyed the female point of view. As far as the whole series goes, this one is proving to be enjoyable because of the way everything fits together. The time line doesn’t always seem to match up, but I’m of the mind that this is because I just can’t get my mind around some of the concepts. Luckily, I can still enjoy the books by taking what they give me at face values.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With a Tangled Skein.

Started Reading
August 21, 2009 – Shelved
August 21, 2009 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 21, 2009 – Finished Reading
August 22, 2009 –
page 251
61.98% "The part where Satan sexually harasses Fate? Priceless!"

David Sarkies I can't say which is my favourite book. but of Anthony's series, I felt that this one was the most complex.