Barbara's Reviews > Sugarwater Ranch

Sugarwater Ranch by Stephanie Berget

Sugarwater Ranch is about bull-riding, rodeo-cowboy on a downward spiral. Sean O’Connell is a fast living, good-looking, charming and a not so real-world-savvy cowboy who feels the world owes him something. He believes he's been given a raw deal that causes him to distance himself from his family. He’s forced to get a “real job,” because he partied away his winnings from the rodeos.

He has a run in with a woman who saves him, salvages the broken pieces and finds the man of her dreams – only sometimes, because of a hurtful past, she pushes the dream aside. Catherine Silvera is a sweet, good-hearted, caring, determined woman - yet a sad-soul at times. Her past and her current situation - looking out for, and taking care of others, leave her hesitant.

This relationship between Catherine and Sean is enjoyable – but slow and repetitive at times – I had to go back several times because I felt as though I’d already ‘read that’, or I missed something. It’s a “slow dance of a love story,” that brings them together again and again, and builds a hesitant relationship. Catherine gives Sean the desire and the drive to be a better man, but she’s easily distracted by the words of others, not giving him a chance.

This author is knowledgeable of the rodeo circuit lifestyle and that made it enjoyable and realistic. The characters and the story were well written, but I found myself wanting it to move quicker – not the relationship -the story... Junior was a bright spot, popping in and out of the story and making me smile when I was finding the story slow… and Elmer... oh Elmer....

I think for a new author, the price for a Kindle download was a bit high, but an enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sugarwater Ranch.

August 1, 2013 – Started Reading